Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 94 Toyota Pickup seems to have a problem with the fuel…

Customer Question
My 94 Toyota Pickup...

My 94 Toyota Pickup seems to have a problem with the fuel system. When I first start it it will run for 10 or even 50 miles. Then, at some point when I am decelerating and my foot is off the accelerator the engine will die. I can restart it, and sometimes it will keep running again, but it will die when I decelerate again. Other times it will not restart right away, but after it cools down it will start and run again.
I first noticed the problem late last winter when it had been raining steadily for several days. I drove the pickup ten minutes or so and it ran fine. Then when I had to decelerate for a turn or a stop sign it would die. It started right up again, but as soon as the engine speed slowed to idle it would die.
Recently I drove it for fifteen miles or so, and it would not restart until the pickup sat for awhile.
I am not a mechanic, but I have worked with tools and my hands a lot. I don’t have much in the way of mechanics tools, but I can probably borrow a few.
I am planning on selling the pickup, but I haven’t decided how to proceed. Optimally, what I would like to do is repair the problem myself and sell the truck. My other two options are hiring a mechanic to do the repair, or selling the truck “as is”.
So, I guess my first question is “Is it feasible for a non-mechanic with few tools to troubleshoot this problem? And is it likely that I can make the repairs? If not, I would like to know what the range of costs might be if I took it to a mechanic, if it is possible to make that kind of estimate.

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Toyota Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

OK, but I meant how much the mechanic would cost if I wound up taking it to a local mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Toyota Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

How do I proceed?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No, it doesn't use a lot of gas, and it starts right up.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '94 Toyota?

I don't know nomenclature, it is a king cab pickup with a four-cylinder engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't know if I can yet. I haven't done anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 11 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This might take some time to pin down, as I cannot be at the vehicle. However, I can provide you some things to check that may isolate the issue. Please advise if you would like to proceed. Thanks

let's give it a shot.

Ok. DO you know what an EGR valve is and where it is in the engine bay?

I just checked it out on Youtube, so yes, I know what it is and where it is now.

Locate the valve. Locate the rubber hose on top of the valve. Unhook it and plug the hose with whatever you can find that fits good and tight (bolt, golf tee, etc). Drive it with the hose unhooked and plugged. See if there is any change.

OK, will do, but I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow morning. Will that work for you?

No problem.

I unhooked the hose on the top of the valve and plugged it with a chopstick. I drove the pickup for about ten miles, then, at a stop sign, it died. I started it up, and it keeps running if I keep the RPMs up, but if I release the accelerator, and let the engine go to idle, it dies.
Please remove the tube that is connected to the throttle body that comes from the air filter. Advise if you see heavy black grime inside the throttle body.
Go to an auto parts store and get 2 cans of spray carb cleaner. Using the first can, spray liberally everything in the picture. Open the round flap and spray it. Wipe up with paper towels. Reserve the second can; I will get back to you on what to do with it around 7:30-8 pm east coast time. I have an important thing to attend to tonight.
Everything in the picture needs to be clean.
I have sprayed about 1/4-1/3 of a can of throttle body cleaner into the throttle body. I opened the valve sprayed into it also.I assume I should reconnect the hose to the EGR valve. Is that so?I'll await further instruction.

Reconnect the EGR hose. Locate the screw on top of the throttle body. Note its position. Unscrew it, counting the number of turns it takes to get it out. Spray the rest of the first can into the hole left by removing the screw. Then respray the interior of the throttle body to get any residue that was blown out of the screw passage. Insert the screw, using the exact same amount of turns it took to remove it. Reconnect the air tube and drive it.

I sprayed into the throttle bottle and wiped it out a couple more times before I emptied the can into the hole into the top of the throttle body. I reconnected the air intake and I reconnected the EGR hose. The truck died after eight minutes of driving. I noticed something this time. I had slowed down for a right turn and the engine started to stall. There was a slight grade on the road that I turned onto, and while I coasted down the hill I kept my foot on the accelerator trying to get the engine to rev up (it didn't die altogether, it lost power). As long as I kept my foot in the accelerator the engine didn't die, but it didn't rev up the engine. It seemed to have no effect other than keeping it from dying. As soon as I removed my foot, the engine did die. But I noticed a sound that something was making when I depressed the accelerator. The farther I pressed the accelerator the faster the sound seemed, or louder. (It was a quiet sound, not a combustion sound.) I don't know exactly how to describe the sound, but whatever was happening it wasn't translating to power in the engine.
Just checking in to see where we go from here.
Drive it again with the egr hose disconnected. Set the screw so your idle Speed is 650 rpm. If it is currently lower than that the engine may stall on decel.
Egr disconnected and plugged.
I disconnected the EGR hose and plugged it. The engine is idling at 1500rpm when it is cold. Should I wait until it warms up to set the idle to 650rpm?
The engine idle RPMs dropped to 1000 when the engine warmed up. Should I drop them down to 650 still? Another symptom appeared. I don't know if it has anything to do with this problem, or not. I turned on the heater fan while the engine was idling and it bogged down the engine and killed it. I turned off the fan, started the engine back up, turned on the heater fan, and the engine died again. The AC compressor was not on.
I tried driving it again after it sat idling for ten minutes or so. I didn't even get a mile before it stalled out. I can keep the engine going when my foot is in it. Then it doesn't die. But when I back off it stalls, it won't jump start even at good speed. The dash lights don't come on if I keep my foot on the accelerator even though there is no power to the engine. The dash lights only come on after I take my foot from the accelerator and feed nothing to the engine. When I keep my foot on the accelerator the engine doesn't actually die, it just won't respond.
Toyota Mechanic: 6Bucs, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is***** understand that as the idle drops to stall level all the dash warning indicators will come on, but before that happens, does the check engine light come on? Do you own or can you borrow a fuel pressure test gauge? Does the engine stall if you shift into neutral? Thanks.