Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1997 Tacoma 2.7L looses power on hills after warming up.

Customer Question
1997 Tacoma 2.7L looses...

1997 Tacoma 2.7L looses power on hills after warming up. usually after setting for 5-10 minuets.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the following: distributer cap, plugs, plug wires, temperature sensor, thermostat, cleaned throttle body, cleaned MAF, air filter is good, cat is like new, replaced any vacuum lines that were cracked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.

They look clea and are not loose.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It seemed like it started with issue sometime after replacing the exhaust manifold gaskets (2 donuts at exhaust pipe) It does sound like there may be an exhaust leak at manifold.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/20/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Is the check engine light staying on? Are there any diagnostic trouble codes?

No check engine lights. No one has been able to connect with code reader or scanners.
I am thinking that the engine has been swapped out sometime because there are several wiring harness plugs in engine bay and one by the transmission that have no where to connect them. A different engine could explain why a code reader wont connect.

Possibly yes, does the check engine light even turn on when the key is on before starting the engine?

Can't say that I paid attention. I will need to check if it comes on then.

O​k, let me know about that, what was the reason for replacing the exhaust manifold?

Only the doughnut gaskets between the manifold and the pipe were replaced. They were leaking. There is still a slight noise like exhaust leak on that side which makes me think maybe a cracked manifold although I don't think that would cause the power loss issue.

A​ cracked manifold can affect the oxygen content which can result in a lean air fuel ratio but you mentioned that this problem didn't happen until the gaskets were replaced. How long have you owned the truck?

Bought in December of 2016. The exhaust doughnuts and distributor cap, plugs and wires work was done about a month ago.
Last week I replaced the temperature sensors and thermostat.

O​k, it's a little difficult from here because we can't get any diagnostic information from the DLC port, I assume you used the one inside at the left lower dash, there is another check connector under the hood that may give us some codes using a jumper but the check engine light has to be working. Or you can try fixing the obvious which is the exhaust leak and hope that takes care of it.

When the guy replaced the exhaust doughnuts is there a chance he damaged an O2 sensor? maybe by banging on the pipe with a hammer? How sensitive are the O2 sensors? They appear to be fairly new in appearance.

I​f there's no physical damage to the sensor there should be no problem, make sure it is not the source of the leak.

I have to go offline in about two hours and will be back later this afternoon. If you can let me know about the check engine light that would be of some help and we can try getting some codes that way, I'm also going to try to find out if it has the correct version of this engine in it, the early versions had distributors and the later went to DIS systems.

Engine tag on valve cover reads E3Rz-N73. I may not be available after 4:00 this afternoon. I will look for the check engine light later this evening.

O​k, sounds good, there were two versions the 2.4 and the 2.7 L, check the label under the hood if it says 2.7 then it's the correct engine. I'll check back with you later about the CEL.

Ok thanks.
Just realized I have a photo of the tag on the hood. It says Engine Family -- 2.71JGKEK. Along the bottom edge of the tag it reads 3RZ-FE RZN

Ok then it's the right engine, good news.

The check engine light does not come on when ignition is turned on without starting engine. Probably a bad light bulb? I will need to check it and replace it if bad. I will also try again to get code reader to connect. I can only work on it evenings so I will get back with you when I get a chance to do those things.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay in getting back to you,

the reason the code reader does not connect is related to the check engine light, it could be someone removed the bulb or it is burned out, in any case let me know and we'll go from there.

Ted,
Check engine light results:
I can find no bulbs that appear to be blown. No fuses under dash or under hood that appear to be blown. (did not check continuity on them)
Check engine light does not come on with ignition turned to on position. Switching bulbs from working positions into that
position and none work at check engine position.
There are three bulbs in that row of lights (check engine, 4 wd & ECT PWR) none of the three will light up.
The connector for that side of the cluster appears ok, wiggled its connection and no change.
Is there a reasonable way to verify that signal is getting to the instrument cluster? Or coming from the computer module?
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago

With the cluster out and plugged into the harness you should see about 12 volts at one side of the circuit board where the check engine light bulb goes.

I will check for voltage on the cluster this evening. If none there is there a matching plug at the other end of the wiring harness for that side of the cluster that can also be checked?

There are two black/red wires at the connector to the cluster both should have 12 volts, these supply power to the lights, if they do then there may be a break in the circuit board or a loose connection or a bad ground, check all the small nuts on the back of the board, I've got to be offline until later today.

Ok, I will check those this evening.

I'll check back with you.

I attached a photo of the back of the cluster. The CEL is on the left side along the bottom. The gray one.
Of the two wires for that bulbs circuit the black w/red stripe has 12v but the brown (or purple one) will not ground it. I grounded
my tester on chassis under the dash. I pulled the plug off to check it. I think the brown (or purple one) should be the ground side of the circuit because it connects all three bulbs in that row. I need to check the circuitry on the panel with jumper wires to ground and 12v power.
My time each evening to work on it is limited so sorry it takes me a while to get this done.
I also looked at the ECU wires and there is no black w/red stripe. Does that mean the power for CEL comes from fuse panel
under the hood? That's another place I could have a bad connection.

P​ower comes through the 10A gauge fuse to the CEL the red purple (V-R on the diagram) is the control wire, the computer grounds it to either be on or off. I'm going to attach a diagram that may help in a follow up post. The other warning lights are also controlled by grounding through the computer, in other words there is no direct path to ground the computer grounds the lights if a fault is detected other wise the remain off.

B​y the way that circuit board doesn't look so well, that could also be the problem there are some solder spots that don't look right.

Keep in mind that the computer also must be grounded for this to work, white/ black wires are gound.

If I cannot get a voltage measurement between the black with red strip and the brown wire at the plug does that mean the ECU is not grounding it? Thus its not getting or just not sending a fault.

The brown wire at the ECM (E1 in the diagram) is grounded all the time si if there is no voltage at the black/red wire measured to the brown wire ther is either no voltage coming from the fuse or a bad ground, try measuring from the black/red wire directly to body ground, any metal part, and see if you get 12 volts but it sounds like there may be no voltage to the B/R wire at all.

The B/R wire has 12v on it when grounded to metal. No voltage when grounded to drown wire.
Are you grounding to the brown wire at the computer
I am probing the brown wire at the plug on the instrument panel and the computer is connected to wire harness. I assume that the brown wire has to go to the computer to complete the circuit.
I was able to do more testing. I verified that the CEL circuit on the instrument cluster is functioning. The light works when power and ground is supplied at the cluster plug. I also traced the Wire form the ECU which is violet or purple. Did a continuity check to be sure I had the right one. Then used a test light hooked up to 12v and checked the wire at the ECU plug and get no ground connection when key is in on position. Even tried disconnection several sensors on engine and still nothing. I connected my code reader to the port again and it powers the reader but wont get codes. Any ideas?

T​he computer is supposed to complete the ground internally to turn the light on so it looks like it is the problem and that's also why the light does not turn on.

Are there any other tests I can do to verify function of the ECU?

U​nfortunately not yourself, there are shops online that test and repair them or offer an exchange or you might be able to pick up a sused one.

Ok thanks. Looks like I will need to replace it and then start diagnosing codes.

Maybe it will fix the whole problem.

I will let know.

Best of luck.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech