Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I took my daughter's 2000 Toyota Camry for an inspection

sticker. I was told the...
I took my daughter's 2000 Toyota Camry for an inspection sticker. I was told the back up lights did not work. When I got into the car to go home, I put the car in reverse and the dash showed a symbol that was not on prior to taking it in. When I got in the trunk, the covers over wiring were half off. I am trying to find out if a fuse or switch is something I can try before my appointment to have it repaired.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The two white lights on either side of the plate and the dash light symbol is a car with rear lights on
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I think I could change a fuse and flip a switch. I found it a little odd that the said lights no longer work and suddenly the symbol for it is lighting up just when it has been brought in for inspection. I googled it and found mention of a fuse, a transaxle switch, and bad wiring. I am an RN so just looking for some help or education before I bring it back tomorrow
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, thank you.
9/20/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Your reverse light get there power from the gauge fuse (10 AMP) located in the interior fuse panel and from there the power goes through the reverse light switch on the transmission. The first thing you will want to do is to check the fuse to be sure you have power in and out of it. I have also enclosed the reverse light wiring diagram in the link below. If the fuse checks okay then the next step would be to check power in and out of the switch with the key on and the transmission in reverse . Check this for me and we can work from there if need be.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b02zr4qwwjeia17/reverse%20light%20Sep%2020.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Ron. I think I'm all set. After reading your directions, I had to google how to get into the interior fuse panel. Once there I had google how to remove the fuse to tell if the fuse was blown. So now I am going to google again how to find the transaxle switch. I'm not able to check power in reverse. And when I try to view the reverse light wiring PDF, it is a run around signing and trying to get into drop box and still cannot view or download it. It says the address is incorrect. Anyway, I think I would need more of a mechanic's education to understand your directions. All set. Thanks.

The switch will be on the drivers side of the transaxle on the top side. The file can not be opened on a Mobil device, if you have access to a regular PC it should open for you. Start with checking the fuse.

Thanks. I googled how to check the fuse and the fuse is good. I only have a phone and an iPad.

If you can access a regular PC the file should open for you. If not then the power wire from the fuse to the switch is the red/black wire and with the transmission in reverse the power out to the rear lights is the red/black. If you have power in and none out then the switch is bad, if you have power in and out then the switch is fine.

I'm all set. My ride is here and I have to take the car and leave it at the garage in case they can get to it before tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician