Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 96 Avalon that overheats when driving down the

Customer Question
road. I replaced the Thermostat...
I have a 96 Avalon that overheats when driving down the road. I replaced the Thermostat and the problem remain. I also get no heat from the vents and only overheats when I start driving it. While at first start up the temp gauge stays in the middle while driving it raises. No sound from the water pump. I put on the yellow cone to bleed the system but the coolant rises and starts bubbling and spills everywhere. What should I do now?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/20/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help.I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Ok

I do not know your skill level so I will ask you if your going to try and fix this your self or just want an opinion of what could be causing this issue? Let me know then I can proceed to answer as you wish.

I have replaced the Thermostat
I will fix it my self. I have a feeling the water pump is not operating.

Lets do some checks and tests first if that's ok. Is the fans working? Did you check the lower part of the radiator for loose or missing cooler fins?

I ruled out the Radiator and no leaks and the fans are working properly.

good thanx for that info. I read your description what is happening and is inline to a leaking head gasket and I can tell you how to check for that if you wish.

Ok. Inform me on how to do the test?
Oh and also I did cooling pressure check and it holds real good for a long time

So you have a pressure tester?

That's why am aiming more towards the water pump

the reason your not getting heat from the vents is because of air or vapor in the system. I could tell you go ahead and replace the water pump but that would not be professional on my end not doing all the tests first as you stated you have no noise from the pump and no leaks when pressure testing right

So what you need to do is a block test, you can have a shop do it or your self with the use of a special tool and solution. What this does is to use a solution that if a leak id detected will change color letting you know it is defiantly a head gasket leak. I can send you a link showing you exactly how this is done.

no noise or leaks. Pressure holds. The only thing that I felt weird about is that when I started pumping I felt the pressure build up right away with only one pump. Usually when I pressure check other cars it takes a while to build pressure
Ok. Yes that was my 2nd option
Please send me the link
What about a leak down test

not for head gasket , this is fool proof

Ok will test it tomorrow. Thank you.

You won't be sorry it is the best and most accurate test for this . Let me know the results so we can proceed or close this .

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician