Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I need to purchase a steering wheel angle sensor along with…

I need to purchase...

I need to purchase a steering wheel angle sensor along with a Electric Water pump for a 2013 prius

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Toyota Prius. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Not really, I was just told the codes and the cost for the parts and labor and wanted to see if i could purchase the parts myself and simply pay for the labor of fixing the vehicle

9/19/2017
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, yes you can buy them on your own, The pump runs around $75 in my area and the steering sensor about $250 in my area, but let me explain about buying your own parts. Some shops will allow this but, most will not. You have to ask several shops about their policy, The reason? ist all about liability and warranty, We rarely install customer supplied parts as if a problem? it seems to always fall back on us but not our fault, Yes, you may pay more for the parts through a shop, they have to mark them up and make $ and stand behind the parts and install. Buy your own> ? you are on your own after install. if anything goes wrong? you pay twice. You have to call around, some shops will gladly install your own parts.My prices on the parts are what you can buy for or close +/- a little, Sure you may be able to save $ overall but in the short to long run? If possible?> I say let the shop uy them. Otherwise just be sure you get everything in writing as to how the shop will handle should a part YOu buy fail. Hope this makes sense a nd I fully understand why you asked the question

Please leave a rating for my service provided today. You can still come back to this post IF needed at no fee after rating, Thanks

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician