Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2004 168,000 miles. Running great but today it would not…

2004 168,000 miles....

2004 168,000 miles. Running great but today it would not shift out of Drive. I could move stick to other gears but it was stuck in Drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Original transmission. Have not checked brake switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Toyota?

Sienna XLE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

I usually do not fix myself. I tinkered with the shift lock tab (black tab by gear shift). It pushed in but nothing changed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How am I charged for the help?

9/19/2017
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If I understand you, you are saying that the shifter movers in all of the positions, but you have Drive only, no reverse, park, or neutral. Is this correct?

Correct
We can handle by text.

Ok. You have one of two problems. The shifter connects to the transmission via a cable. Either the cable is faulty or broken, or, the cable where it attaches to the shifter of the transmission is faulty. Most likely, where the cable attaches to the transmission is the problem.

There is a pivot point where the cable attaches, and a retainer to hold the cable in place. If the cable end is broken, the arm that the shift lever controls does not move. If the retainer is broke, the entire cable moves and you do not manipulate the transmission arm.

Great. Any way to get her started now?She is in Drive.
Okay. I hope that is it. An easy fix if that is the problem?

If you open the hood and look at the side of the transmission that faces the radiator/front grille, you might be able to see the arm. Move the arm back and forth, trying to start between clicks (I do not know where the arm is, so, you need to experiment). When you engage park, or neutral, it will start, but it will not move until you click the lever into drive.

A cable replacement is about 3-4 hours labor plus around 190.00 for the cable.

Thank you for the help. I will try to start tomorrow morning.

You are very welcome. Glad to help. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert