Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How do I reset the check engine light on my 2009 4 runner. I…

Customer Question
How do I reset...

How do I reset the check engine light on my 2009 4 runner. I discovered the gas cap was loose

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2009 Toyota 4 runner

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I tried tightening the cap

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It happened once before and I took it to the shop and they told me at that time it was because the cap was loose. They reset it at my expense.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 11 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!
There are a couple of options to reset the Check Engine Light. You can remove the "NEG" cable from the battery for a minimum of 5 minutes. Also, most local big-chain parts stores, like Autozone will reset the light for Free (except in California) right in their parking lot. Keep in mind, if the fuel cap was not the problem, the light will return within 50-75 miles of combined city and highway driving (sooner depending on what system has the problem). If the light does return, you will then need the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes"). You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

..

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.