Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Car wont start, the positive terminal is corroded, 2016

Car wont start Mechanic's...

Car wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The positive terminal is corroded

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2016 toyota camry LE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing, car worked fine all day today.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Dash lights come on, headlights come on but are dim

9/17/2017
Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician

Hello my name is***** the terminal is corroded then that can cause this. A lack of voltage will cause the computer to shut down the starting system. I would start by removing and cleaning the terminals. If those get clean and it continues then the battery needs to be load tested to see if it is failing or just need a recharge. A simple jump start may also get you going. I hope this helps. If you need more help please let me know.

Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician
i just realized that the battery is kinda swollen too. Cleaning the terminals did not work. im going to replace the battery in the morning. I have a capacitor that is connected to my amplifier and subwoofer that has a digital voltage meter on it that reads 9.0V. It was confusing me because everything in the car works like the radio and dash; I guess this computer shut down is a thing that happens on newer cars