Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Have a 2008 Prius. 130k miles. Will not start. Battery

appears dead but charger says...
Have a 2008 Prius. 130k miles. Will not start. Battery appears dead but charger says it is fully charged. No lights in dash. Any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: What fuses do you suggest? Dashboard is black no lights at all.
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have tried nothing except to try and charge battery. I live in country and vehicle is housed in garage so am stuck with trying to fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all I can think of.
9/16/2017
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Do you happen to have a multimter or just a voltmeter?

Do you have another car and jumper cables to try to jump start?

It sounds like the voltage from the 12 volt battery is either too low or there is a disconnect between it and the fuse box under the hood. a voltmeter would help a lot.

I can get a voltmeter. Do I need to test the battery? It is less than two years old.
I am away from home so it is not possible to work directly by phone. I am trying to get some ideas on what to try since it is not possible to move vehicle and the battery appears fully charged. Should I try to jump start it form another vehicle? It has been less than a month since I last drove it.

Thanks for the reply,

The batteries on hybrid vehicles can drain very quickly, if it was not driven for a long time there is a good chance the 12 volt battery is below the minimum to wake up the hybrid computers which means it won't do anything. let's be sure about the battery, there is a 12 volt access point in the fuse box under the hood, open the red cover with the plus sign on it, you can measure voltage there or you can use it to jump start with another car.

Thank you. I will try that and see if it helps.

You're welcome, let me know how it goes.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech