Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

The sunroof on my 2004 highlander is stuck open, Yes. I

The sunroof on my...

The sunroof on my 2004 highlander is stuck open

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I tried the disconnecting the battery. Didn't work. Looked along the tracks for anything jambing the roof. didn't find anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Battery is fine. Only a month old, and lights and stuff all look ok. Also check the fuse and it's good. When I press the button to close the motor does make a noise. The window did move a bit, but then open back. Now all I hear is a little bit of a grinding sound but now movement of the window

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just how to maybe get the sun roof closed manually if possibel

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

A common problem is that a small piece of plastic breaks off on one of the cables, the cable assemblies are available separately but there is a lot of work involved to replace them, the headliner has to be removed then the entire sunroof track assembly, this can take about 8 hours or so even for a trained tech. At the dealer you're looking at around $1000 for parts and labor, again, most of that is labor.

You asked about closing it manually, this is possible by removing the upper console that has the switch on it then you can get to the bolts that hold the motor to the roof, remove the bolts and pull the motor down, you should at that point be able to pull the sunroof closed all the way, put the motor back, remove the electrical connector from it to prevent accidental operation.

Do I have to remove or loosen the headliner to pull the motor down?

In most cases you can get to the bolts without pulling any part of the headliner down, you should see the bolts, there are three, after removing the switch panel

Thanks, ***** ***** the bolts. If I did want to remove the headliner, which I have partially off. The part I don't see is how to release it from the front two pillers. Is there a hidden screw attaching the pillar cover?
Nevermind. I just figured it out.

Ok, best of luck and please take a moment to rate my answer positively, thank you.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech