Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a noise coming from the drivers side of my 2005

Customer Question
I have a noise...

I have a noise coming from the drivers side of my 2005 Corolla, Automatic transmission, 1.8L I thought it was the drive axle because when I checked I noticed the CV boot closest to the tranny was torn. I replaced the axle but the noise was still present. I decided it must be the wheel bearing. I replaced both the drivers and passenger side front wheel bearings but the noise is still there. I have a trouble code reference the lock up not engaging or something to that effect. P0741? Maybe, I don't remember the code but the MIL is on. If the solenoid inside the transmission is bad, will it cause torque converter to go bad? The sound is like a wheel bearing. It can be heard from 45 -55 MPH then it goes away at higher speeds. No noise before 45 MPH. I was going to drop the transmission pan tomorrow and check the solenoids. Any suggestions? Could the noise be my torque converter?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the torque specs?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I do all y own mechanic work. I just explained what I've done in my first text.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/16/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Sounds like it could be a tire have you rotated front to back?

not the tires

next you will want to jack the front end up on some jack stands and have someone put it in drive and accelerate while you check different components with a screwdriver or stethoscope

I'll do that in the morning and let you know.

sounds good ill be around

I found the problem. The plastic splash covers located behind the front bumper cover had com loose and were vibrating form the wind current while driving. I notice they were loose while changing the oil. After securing the covers I took the car for a drive. No more noise. I am glad that it turned out to be a minor repair. I was sure I was having torque converter issues. I must admit though that this twice that I have requested help from this website and twice that i did not receive any help on the problem I was having. There won't be a third time. Maybe you can write down the fix on my problem so you can help some other poor shmuck that uses your services.

we just got started how am I supposed to know your splash covers are bad without running though diagnostic procedure which we were doing? I cant see the car ? your literally asking me to fix the car in one question which is impossible, if you want that you should call a fortune teller they can see the future

Wow! Really? You're a real jerk. I never expected you to fix my car after one question. But I stated what I had already tried and your suggestion to place the car on jack stands was a good idea. I was talking bad about the website, not you personally. Get over yourself, your not that important. If your texts to others are as rude as they are to me you need to think about improving your customer service skills. I even shared what I found to be the problem in case you had a future customer with the same problem so you could help them. My point is.....my skills as a mechanic are just as good as anyone I have talked with in this website. I assumed that the so called "Toyota Experts" would know more than I do. I was wrong. I'm 61 years old and have never used a repair shop for any mechanical work. So called mechanics such as yourself is the reason why. You assume the customers don't know anything, and most do not. I'm not most and expect more, including expert customer service skills from mechanics. Don't let it bother you though. I forgive you. I'm sure you are an excellent mechanic. I hope you can forgive me for my last comment. I should have made myself more clear. I expected you to say you were glad I was able to find the problem. I didn't expect you to be hurt by my comment.

have a nice day!

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician