Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I changed the valve cover gaskets of a Toyota Tundra and the

I changed the valve cover gaskets of a Toyota Tundra and the truck started to fail and show me codes like p0300 p0301 p0303 p0305 p0307 p0017 p0014
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: 5.7
JA: What year is your Tundra?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: so far I have only changed two camshaft position sensors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Does it appear to be running normal or is it losing power and the check engine light is flashing? If you clear all of these codes and start it up which ones come back before the others?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
after deleting the codes the truck works fine but after a few minutes running fails and return the codes in different order but the same
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sometimes the truck loses power and sometimes it just shakes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also turned on 4L light and winding road

Let me check a couple of those codes to confirm what I think is going on and the four low light will flash whenever the check engine light comes on. The truck ran perfectly fine before you remove the valve covers just to confirm?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the lights come whit te check engine light an the truck works great before I change the valve cover gasket

OK standby. It got busy in the shop and I need to look at a few things.

0014 and P0 017 are timing correlation codes and over retard codes for the bank one camshafts. What you're probably going to find is when you remove the valve cover the sealing O'rings that usually stick to the valve cover got knocked off and are losing oil pressure from the VVT I control solenoids on bank one to those odd cylinders and causing the misfire and the cam timing to be off because that oil pressure cannot get to the variable valve timing drums on the ends of the cams. Hopefully the cams did not get damage or the gaskets didn't get jammed into the holes. Remove the valve cover on bank one and recheck those sealing O-rings you'll probably find that is the problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is the name of those O ring, I can get them at the dealer

11229-38010 Could be the part number for the gas that controls oil flow between the valve cover and the cylinder head. You need to double check with your local Toyota dealer parts department than to confirm.. It's listed with the valve cover gasket itself.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
replace the O rings that I indicated the truck worked perfect but today in the morning again failed by appearing codes p0012 p0017 and missing fire in cylinders 1,3,5 y7

The P0 012 is an over retard or advance issue with the VVT I controller. The P0017 means the correlation timing between the camshafts on bank one and the crankshaft is not correct. If the codes were not there and it was not an issue prior to doing the valve covers it's possible that one of the oil control valves got damaged on bank one. You do know that bank one is the driver-side bank? if you have all of the O-rings in place double check the oil control valves make sure nothing got damaged on those if everything there checks good you dealing with an issue with the VVT I controller on the end of the camshaft or the timing chain has been stretched or damaged. In some rare cases I've seen where the passageway filter or screen in the valve cover gets clogged and can restrict oil flow to the controller.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is the camshaft "A" intake or exhaust

A is intake and exhaust B

Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
no, I still have not solved it now I see the code p0014 only change VVT ​​solenoid of the intake camshaft. I'm going to change the other VVT of the exhaust camshaft I hope with that to solve the problem. but I thank you for sharing your knowledge

yeah that is camshaft B timing over advanced for bank one.