Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I recently installed a towing package and electronic trailer

brake controller in my 2008...
I recently installed a towing package and electronic trailer brake controller in my 2008 Toyota Highlander Base 3.5L V6. It came from the factory with a Tow Package Prep (Oil cooler, transmission cooler, etc.) so I know this vehicle is capable of towing a small trailer (up to 5,000 lbs.). After installing the brake controller and driving with the trailer for a few miles, the MIL came on as well as Traction Control light and VSC off light. Now I'm getting P0171 and P0174 DTCs as well as an occasional P0300. The dealer said that I need a new brake booster and master cylinder, but I don't understand how either of those two assemblies could cause System Too Lean errors. I'm not sure if they checked the vacuum hoses for leaks, but I already tried replacing the MAF sensor and gas cap, oil filters and air filters and nothing worked. Any thoughts? When I was drilling through the firewall could I have damaged something with the brake booster? I was several inches away from the pedal where I was drilling...
9/14/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Lean codes come from low fuel pressure or vacuum leaks in most cases. Your brake booster is vacuum controlled. Since you drilled around this area you may have drilled into it or a hose.

With the engine running spray short bursts of flammable brake or carb cleaner around the intake and hoses. If you spray a leak the rpms will increase and tell you where the leak is. Can you try that and let me know?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hey Chris, thanks for the quick reply. I will pick up the vehicle from the dealer tomorrow and give that a try. I don't think a dealer repair is the right way to go no matter what, since they're so expensive and just like to replace things without getting to the root of the problem.Something I just remembered, I accidentally pulled a 25A fuse labeled IG2 from the fuse box under the hood while the vehicle was running (I don't know what I was thinking). I was trying to install a towing fuse and wanted to quickly double check the type of fuse I needed. Of course the vehicle immediately shut off and when I replaced the fuse and started it back up is when those lights came on. Would this affect anything? I'm just wondering if tomorrow I find out there are no vacuum leaks, then could I have short circuited the ECM or a sensor or something?

Please do keep in touch as needed.

I doubt the fuse was to blame for this concern.

Hey Chris, so I picked up the vehicle from the dealership and tried the carb cleaner. I found the leak. It is indeed the brake booster. I must have drilled a hole in it accidentally when I was routing those wires through the firewall. I was looking at doing the repair myself but I think it might be easier to let a mechanic do it. Have you ever replaced one of those on a Highlander?

Here are the primary steps https://www.dropbox.com/s/iuwwgxuv9y9404k/booster.pdf?dl=0 there are alot of sub steps. Getting all the stuff out of the way takes more time than getting the booster in and out. It is 2.7 hour job to replace it.

Chris

Man, you're so helpful. That manual makes it seem easy. Do you have the Adjustment and On-vehicle Inspection sub steps print-outs as well?

That is going to be 12 links https://www.dropbox.com/s/nn2iaxro7v96cah/links.png?dl=0 Do you need all of them or do you know how to do some of them?

I think I'd only need steps 11-13 and 25-27
In the installation section that is, not removal.

Are you still needing assistance or are you pleased with my help?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Chris, thanks for your help! I've got the part on the way and I'll try to install it this weekend or next. Thanks again!

You are welcome

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician