Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

My ABS light came with my battery light My car will not

My ABS light came with my battery light My car will not start now
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Just the ABS light and the battery light came on So then I drove the car, then when I went to turn it off. It would not crank...the lights will come on but the car wont start
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2007 Toyota Camry Solara
JA: Are you fixing your Camry Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I just want some idea of what is going on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

When you try to start the vehicle are you getting any sort of reaction like a slow turn over? Or a rapid, repeating clicking?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, no clicking. It will just turn on the lights and radio
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Earlier this morning when I cranked it up this morning it was kind of a slow turnover

Ok. Great. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot speak on the phone

My apologies for the phone call offer. These are force-sent by the website.. not me! Please sit tight a minute... I'm typing out my reply... be right back...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

Thanks for holding!

When these dash lights are lit, this is a common sign of a fault in the Charging System. More commonly, this a faulty alternator or a weak battery. The reason the accessories like power windows and radio still work as these do not require a full 12v to operate, whereas the starter needs a full solid 12v to turn the engine over. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion and that the serpentine belt is tight around the alternator pulley at this time. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was a little bit of rattling noise as if the car was an really really old car. it was making the sound of a Ford Truck

Would you say the noise was coming more from the passenger's side of the engine compartment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was coming from the passenger's side

Ok. This can be worn bearings in the alternator or worn bearings in an idler or tensioner pulley. So- inspect the serpentine belt and make sure it is tight around all the pulleys. If not, the belt is slipping around the pulleys which is causing the system not to charge. If the belt is good, I'd recommend running the voltage tests as described above.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thank you

Ok! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great day!