Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

MY PRIUS HAS FRONT END AND FLOOR VIBRATIONS AT ALL SPEEDS.

Customer Question

MY PRIUS HAS FRONT END AND FLOOR VIBRATIONS AT ALL SPEEDS. IT GET WORSE WHEN GOING DOWN HILLS AND LETTING OFF THE GAS PEDAL
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: NOT A GAS HOG OR STARTING ISSUES
JA: What year is your Prius?
Customer: 2016
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: IT HAS BEEN TO THE DEALERSHIP THREE TIMES FOR THE PROBLEM
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what the dealer has checked or replaced to try and locate or repair this fault here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I saw you had opted me out and I wasnt sure if you wanted to still work with me or work with someone else.Do you still need help with this here at all or would you like to work with someone else here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pete,
The first started in July. I was driving down hill and the whole car began to shake with a loud noise. then I stopped the car and looked underneath and did noe see anything obvious. then I called the service dept. They told me that it made no sense. they should have told to bring the car right in. After this there was a vibration in front end and floor board. Since then the prius has been for service three times. First they did wheel balance and issue was still there next time the tie rods and front end were checked after that same problem then yesterday the removed my summer wheels and installed factory wheels that hae snow tires on,now do difference. I think there may be a u joint problem or other drive shaft problem. I believe that should have been checked after the wheel balance did not correct the problem. Needless to say I am very upset over Fox Toyota service.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I understand your frustration and am surprised that they didnt see themselves that the issue has not been resolved and did not offer to keep looking into the issue, instead just kept handing the vehicle back over to you with the same fault.You might speak to their general manager about that,I would be very upset as well.

If they did not check the engine and transmission mounts for any issues this needs to be done.If there are any worn or damaged mounts at all this can cause this issue here and the affected mounts will need replaced.

If they did not check for any broken or damaged exhaust components hitting the engine frame or flooring this needs done as well.

And like you said here if there is a damaged or broken U joint or cv joint or axle this can also cause this fault.

All of these here are most common for this issue and if they were not checked into this needs to be done.

If these were checked into then I would have them check to see if there is any play in the transmission output shaft bearings causing play and a vibration fault.

You may have to visit a different repair facility to have this diagnosed further to locate the cause here as it sounds like the Toyota facility is unable to correctly diagnose and repair this issue.If your still under warranty speak to Toyota customer support as they can usually call the dealer and push this repair along to make sure it is re diagnosed and repaired.Their number is *****(###) ###-####

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete