Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2007 Corolla....cooling fan running slow about 1200 RPM.

Customer Question

2007 Corolla....cooling fan running slow about 1200 RPM. Friend's 2006 runs at 2100. Replaced fan same problem.
JA: What is the model of your '07 Toyota?
Customer: Corolla S 5 speed manual
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New fan motor....previous water pump and thermostat.
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: It tries to overheat a few lines above center (normally centered about half way up) at long stop lights or stuck in traffic. It will cool down if I turn the AC off.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Should do it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Are you getting any check engine lights? have you checked the coolant levels?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No check engine lights....coolant level full

when fan is on what voltage are you getting to fan?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not yet checked the voltage and will not be near the car today. Should it be 12 volts?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if it is not 12 volts....then what would you suggest next?

for some reason its not giving me the specifications il have to open this back up to the others for assistance

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 1 month ago.

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. Start the engine and turn the air conditioning system on. With the fans rotating at low speed, ground the Green/Black wire and check to see if the fan comes on high speed. If the fan comes on to high speed, check the engine control module control of the relay. Use a scanner to see if it shows the relay is on.

If the radiator fan does not come up to high speed, bypass the number two fan relay by jumping terminal 3-5. Check to see if the fan operates at high speed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will not be near the car today. I will try that tomorrow......thank you for now.

no problem i will await your response tomorrow. thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey Ricardo....you mentioned fans in your response above and also to ground the green / black wire to see if the fan comes on at high speed. The Corolla only has one fan and only has 2 wires going to the electric fan motor so I do not think it is a 2 speed system. I thought the 2 speed fans always have 3 wires going to the fan motor. Am I correct in my thinking?
I am still not near the car yet. Other life events such as moving have set this on a back burner.

Hi sorry for the delay where you able to fix this problem with your vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got an email saying that I have a new message from Ricardo....I don't see it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK...I see your message only asking if I have fixed the issue. Not yet. I am now in the middle of moving and can not get back to working on the car until the end of this month. Please be patient.

no problem, just let me know when ever you need help.