Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1993 Toyota camry le 2.2 4 door sedan. My car has

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Toyota camry le 2.2 4 door sedan. My car has quit blowing air out of my vents. It works fine on the defrost and floor. I changed out the a/c and heater control with a used one above the radio with no luck. I bought a used mode servo actuator under the dash next to the columan and it changed nothing. Is there something I'm missing on the check list?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Is this system Automatic (where you set the temperature) or manual?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
manual turn knobs

Ok. Now, on the part you replaced, the servo actuator...Was it the one with an 8 socket connector with 7 pins inside it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not in my shop, but the picture from ebay looks like 7 pins

I would be inclined to think you just have a bad replacement part. To check this, look at the wire connection point. On the top row of the unit socket, there are 3 cavities. On the bottom row, there are 5 cavities. Moving from Right to left, they are numbered 4, 5, 6 and 7. Cavity 8 is open. Apply battery power to socket cavity 6 and a ground to socket cavity 7. The unit should activate and move. If it does noting, or grinds and the arm does not move, the unit is faulty.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was wrong, it was a 8 pins.

These servos have plastic gears inside them that get brittle and fail with age. Replacement of the servos on this model and year Camry are very common as of late.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
mine has 6 across the top and 1 on each side on the bottom of the 6.

The 1993 service manual shows a 8 pin connector, 3 on top, 5 on the bottom. Not the one you describe.

Perhaps the picture is incorrect. These are all the same from 1992 thru 1996.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
denso part#(###) ###-####on the one I took out. and the one I put back in. and it worked fine till a month ago.

See if you are getting power to the Red with a blue stripe wire (pin 6) with the key on and the fan on any speed. This system uses the DEF/Foot/Face/etc switch to apply a ground to the other pins in order to complete the circuit and cause the servo motor to move. You should read ground continuity in sockets 1,2,3,4 & 5

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, I bought a 96 heater control and it was wrong.

The servos are the same, the controls are different.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
mine has 8 pins. 6 across the top and 1 below the left top pin and 1 below the right pin on top. so how do I check this style?

You should have power in one socket and all of the rest will be grounds depending on where the air mode knob is positioned.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
looking inside the servo female connector. they are numbered 1-8

Which socket has the red/blue wire?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm in the house with the servo I took out. got to go to work. can you tell me how to check this 8 pin servo from the bench?

Power to 6, ground to 7. The servo should activate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how will I get ahold of you tomorrow night to let you know what it shows?

Reply to this chat box; I will be back when the system alerts me. This IS a 1992 Camry, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1993

ok. 1993. Just Verifying.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i'll get back tomorrow

ok