Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My key is stuck in the ignition. I cannot start the Prius or

Customer Question

Hi my key is stuck in the ignition. I cannot start the Prius or get the key out.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: One moment....I am walking back to my car it is in the sun and I was super hot
JA: What year is your Prius?
Customer: I am renting it from a friend. He did not tell me
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2004
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I simply need help in getting the key out of the ignition and starting the car. I am concerned I may have inserted the key upside down. I am renting the car and did not get instructions on how to use it I drove it for 2 days without a problem.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, the first step is to try a reset. you will disconnect the negative 12v battery cable for 10 minutes, then reconnect it and see if key will turn.

I have attached directions to access the 12v battery in the trunk for you