Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just replaced the alternator,and starter, but it seems…

I just replaced the...

I just replaced the alternator,and starter, but it seems like my idle has dropped to 250rpm and car stalled.. getting whiff of fuel.. wondering if idler valve is now bad?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts the same.. no-not a gas hog.. doesit need to "remember" "relearn" idle rate?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2004 Highlander 3.3 6cyl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not getting any error codes either

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nt really

9/12/2017
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please standby.

ok.

Since it happened after alternator replacement, possibly the idle paramters got reset and idle relearn will be needed. There are two ways to do it. One with a compatible scan tool and other is by driving the vehicle at highway speeds for couple of miles with normal load. I will also recommend to check and make sure the throttle plate doesnit have carbon built up as it can delay the idle relaeearn procedure.

my guess is its a relearning issue.. what should the normal idle rate be for this car? Right now its around 250

Once engine warms normal idle(###) ###-####rpm.

thats what I thought.. you think driving it will do it.. I ran it and held the rpm at about 1500 for a few minutes and that didnt seem to make a difference..

Just raising the rpm wont help. It will need to be driven for the computer to relearn idle parameters.Also make sure to check the throttle plate for carbon built up as it can delay the idle relearn procedure.

ok. unlikely its the plate as it ran fine before this happened, but will check

Do you have any other questions?

nope-thans.. Ill check the throttle butterfly for carbon build up and drive the care.. should take care of it!!Thanks

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me .

3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer

Hello, just checking if any updates?

Hi- well, I cleaned the throttle plate, had carbon.. ran it on freeway and now idling at 770... only casualty was I broke a hose nipple on outside of air cleaner box.. I think its just an air bleed and shouldnt be an issue?

As long as it is not pulling vacuum, should br good.

Do you have any other questions?

i dont think it is.. should be fine.. Nope.. I am good to go.. you were a great help

Glad to hear that. Have a great rest of the day and please dont forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner. Thank you.

Gunvir Singh