Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

I have an Automatic Toyota Corolla 2007 model that won't go

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have an Automatic Toyota Corolla 2007 model that won't go into gear
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: I have no idea about the transmission
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have it to mechanic and they said it could be the gear box
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: They said they don't know the problem of the car yet
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Does the shifter move from Park to all the other gears? and did you try manual L gear to see if it would engage then? What about reverse? did it have reverse gear at all? thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It moves freely to over gear
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But just won't move
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Alright, and you tried manual L gear and reverse as well correct? Did it quit pulling while driving down the road? or after it sat over night it quit pulling?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried manual and it won't work as well
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I here I noise in gear box before it stopped working
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hear noise in gear box before it stopped working
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Alright, and did you check the fluid level of the transmission? if so, was it full?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I recently changed that
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When the problem started
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

I follow you, if your hearing that noise in the gear box and it's full of fluid and you get no engagement, then I would pull the pan for inspection, it likely has metal in it. I believe it's going to either have to be replaced or rebuilt in order to repair it unfortunately. I hate to be the bearer of bad news there, but when you hear noise in the gear box it's usually because the planetary gears are stripped or the front pump that supplies necessary hydraulic pressure for internal clutch engagement has failed. I would recommend car-part.com to find a used unit with low mileage. You can search your zip code and find them in your area. Or a local transmission shop with great reviews or an Aamco transmission shop for an estimate. If it was mine, I would probably go with a used unit with low mileage. That's usually more economical than an overhaul. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's there an possibility that the gear box will work again or not already affected ?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

It could work again if it was disassembled and overhauled. The only other thing that comes to mind is that you stripped a CV joint or the CV joint popped out of the transmission, I have seen that before, but if both front axles are firmly in the transmission and are not broken or stripped, then I believe the problem to be internal.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you.