Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

The car does not start. battery is new and there is full

Customer Question
tank of gas. JA: Has the...
the car does not start. battery is new and there is full tank of gas.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: no, it won't start. my niece indicated running i
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2003 Toyota corolla ce
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just trying to start it. notice abnormal behavior on Saturday.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: my niece inducated running into some water and noticed an error about battery. she drove home okay. when I was putting the car in the garage, i noticed that the gear shifting mechanism was not function. Not able to put it in park. the car continues to move.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/11/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Are you able to shift into neutral? Is it stuck in D range? Did any water get inside the car? Can the key be removed from the ignition switch?

I am able to switch into neutral but very free movement. No, it is not stuck in D. My niece said see ran into water. I don't know how deep. Yes, the key can be removed from the ignition

With the shifter in the nutral position does the engine turn over but not fire up"?

When you turn the key to on do the dash lights come on?

the engine turn over but does not fire up.
Yes, on the on position the dashboard lights comes on.

D​oes it have spark at the spark plugs?

I don't know because I have not observed that.

W​e need to start some where, can you pull one of the spark plugs out then put it in the connector and crank the engine to see if there is spark at the spark plug. You can also try to put a little gasoline directly into the intake at the air filter, if it starts and runs for a second the problem is fuel pressure. Need to find out if it's loss of fuel or ignition.

There is full tank of gas. My guess is that some sensor or electronic component might have been damaged when she ran into the water. I'm not good at working on cars.
I don't even have the required tools to access and remove the plugs

I​ tend to agree with you that the water has something to do with this, try to check the fuses in the fuse box under the hood.

How do I open the fuse box. That was what I tried to do initially but was not able to open the fuse box.

There is a plastic clip on the front, just pull it out and up.

Sorry about my lack of auto repair skills.
Okay, was able to open the fuse box. Will check the fuses.

Ok, good luck.

Sorry, not interested. Thanks..

Ok, hope you get this fixed.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech