Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Problem with car starting. Cranks just fine and will sort of…

Customer Question
Problem with car starting...

Problem with car starting. Cranks just fine and will sort of start but doesn't seem to be getting fuel. I determined that there is fuel going the rail but am thinking that it might be something with the EFI since when I disconnected all of the EFI connections to the cylinders it ran for a few moments. My original thinking was something was stuck open or closed but now I'm thinking it is upstream somewhere in the wiring or computer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

It has spark to all cylinders

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

97 - 4 cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I've been working on it myself. replaced the fuel rail since at first I thought is was the fuel pressure regulator and cleaned out the air filter

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/11/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 9 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

What model is the car? (camry, corolla , truck etc?)

97 toyota camry 2.2 L engine.

Thanks, ***** ***** have a test light to check for injector pulse voltage while cranking?

not sure. I have multimeter but not sure if it will do this. I know it has a setting on the dial that is labled as 4-cyl, 6- cyl, ect but sure exactly what this measures
i could get a test light if it would help diagnose

O​k, for right now let's just see if there is voltage to the injectors, set the meter to read DC volts, ground the black wire with the key on check the #1 injector wire, there should be 12 volts to one of the wires on the injector, please verify?

Will do tonight when I get home from work. Thanks for the help.

Y​ou're welcome, let's go from there.

there was 12v to the same wire in each the plug at all four cylinders when I checked them one right after the other. Also was loaned a code reader but it didn't come back with anything.

Thanks for the reply

It sounds like the the timing may be off, possibly the timing belt jumped on the gears, in that case there will still be spark but at the wrong time. first try to put some fuel directly into the intake and see if it will run for about two seconds, if it does it's either s fuel or timing issue, check injector pulse voltage to see if the injectors are getting a signal from the computer to turn on, it's best to check with a small test light made for this (noid light) the autoparts store has them, remove the #1 injector connector and plug the light into it, it should flash when cranking the engine. If it does this check the timing belt to make sure the timing marks are lined up correctly, you can get the diagram by googling it. I will be off line until later this afternoon and will check back with you later.,