Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have no dashboard lights on my 2003 sienna, i've checked

I have no dashboard lights...
I have no dashboard lights on my 2003 sienna
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: i've checked the panel fuse and it's fine. idk how to reach the dash bulbs
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself, i've changed the panel fuse
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, that's all
9/11/2017
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Just to clarify are you 100% certain that the rheostat is not dialed all the way down? If you turn the rheostat up do any of the instrument panel lights illuminate for example around the radio or heater controls? Or is it just the combination meter/odometer that is not lighting up?

the dimmer switch is on fully. The radio controls get dim or bright but that is all.The meter/odometer doesn't light up. Nor do the lights near the temp or fuel gauges.
Actually, the radio is the only thing with lights on the entire console.

You can make the lights in the radio dim using the dimmer switch? It is a Toyota radio?

the dimmer switch adjusts the radio as well. Yes, factory audio. It's a 2003 sienna symphony edition.

Okay it got busy in the shop let me look at the wiring diagram and I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Ok, thank you.

I need you to check the specific components to see if there being illuminated check the following. Heater blower switch, PC power switch rear blower switch rear heater control, seat heater switches power sliding door control switch? According to the wiring diagram the panel fuse feeds the lights on a one slice power feed to all of these illumination circuits. The combination meter is just one of the 10 or 12 splices off of this point. The panel fuse has to be good if the radio light is being dimmed. Does the clock dim when the taillights are turned on?Also does the illumination of the power main switch for the power sliding doors illuminate and dim with the controller?

The clock works but does not dim. The backlighting for the power doors & a/c heat controls don't work either. I believe they would dim when they were operational though. Pretty much the only dash/console lights are the radio, gear indicators & warnings (air pressure, check engine, low fuel, etc). All the rest no longer work. They have been slowly going out over time but now the dash lights are out too. Can't see anything in the dark except which gear I'm in.

The bot***** *****ne here is the power supply is good and the rheostat is good all of these bulbs work on a parallel circuit and are fed by the 7.5 amp panel fuse. It has multiple parallel legs coming from one splice connector feeding all of the different things that are illuminated then the rheostat controls the current flow to ground to allow the proper current for the proper amount of intensity of the bulb depending on where the rheostat is set. It's unlikely that this is a broken wire or splice point problem Toyotas typically do not have those types of problems. You're going to need to pull the combination meter/speedometer assembly and check and or replace the bulbs. I would start with those four bulbs I believe is what it takes and see how it illuminates. While you have it out if you turn the key on you can check for 12 V to the green wire that is the illumination power circuit. The green wire is pin 8 of connector C 11 is a brown connector on the back of the speedometer assembly. Click the link this is looking at the connector once it's disconnected the lock tab on top and the pins are counted up.

Thanks. I'll work on this issue over the weekend.

OK

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician