TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

Purchased a gas golf cart and the forward and reverse kind

purchased a gas golf cart and the forward and reverse kind of worked Then I could not get it to work at all Do I have to take the whole rearend appart?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No problem with the gas part. It is a gas Club Car
JA: What is the model/year of your electric?
Customer: no forward and reverse
JA: What year is your electric?
Customer: It is a GAS
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2001
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Hello, may I have your serial number?

also when you shift to forward or reverse and press the pedal does the engine come on just no movement or what does and does not happen?

the more info the merrier, thanks, Lou

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have you ever worked on a gas club car golf cart
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is about a 2001 club car golf cart. there is no serial number
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the engine goes and stays in natural sometimes I can get it in reverse.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
meaning I am able to drive it around in reverse or in forward sometimes.There is cable (like a bike cable)adjustments that we tried to move a little and this didn't work. You need to know alot about gas golfcarts. Do you have this knowlage?

there are serial numbers lol

yes I work on them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is great don't know we are in the carabine and just purchased this golf cart. I drove it off the ferry no problem then had trouble getting it into reverse then it finaly went after that we could not get it to work.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Meaning can't find a serial number anywhere

serial number is ***** positioned just under the glove box on the passengers side of the vehicle. The serial number of each vehicle is printed on a bar code decal

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a mechanic looking at it that works on motorcycles here on the island. They think it is in the rearend and needs to figure out how it works so they can fix it.It takes 1 month to get parts so hope you can point us in the right direction!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no serial number it must of been painted over.Looks like they all are the same from 1986-2001 I would gues it is about that age

ok so in the rear end are rings and a shift fork that changes back and forth between the gears, the best thing to do is take off the cover and manually adjust the fork by hand to see if it works and moves smoothly and then you can work your way back through the cable adjustment .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry didn't see your message yes motor comes on just stays in nutural. Once I get it into forward it will rev up and start to engage.I need to understand how forward and reverse works on a club car.

you may have a clutch or belt issue is the rear clutch being engaged and spinning when the motor is revving?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when the motor goes the clutch spins and the clutch engages.this link will take you to the front lever assemblyhttps://golfcartpartsdirect.com/Category/177Then there is a cable that goes to the rear end gear box that has a switch/ lever that goes back and forth for forward and reverses.https://golfcartpartsdirect.com/Category/177
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry gave you link twice

disconnect the rear cable completely from the ball where the cable attaches to and manually move the selector lever to see if you get any engagement while pressing accelerator

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
did that pressed the lever (on top of the gear box) left and got reverse sometimes...... then pushed it right and could not get it to go forward. That is why we are thinking it is in the gear box.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The person I purchased it from said she had som problmes (she tells me this after I purchased it) last month but they put a new belt on it and it fixed it. It has not been driven much since except to drive to ferry and driven off the ferry then I started to have problmes once I got it 5 minuets off the ferry.

you would be correct in thinking this, just one more question before we have to start getting into the case, when you are moving the lever on the rear axle assembly is it also moving the shaft its connected to or is there play on that

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it seems like the plastic lever that is conected to the cable. When you remove the cable and just have the plastic it seems like it is moving the shaft back and forth. (it does look like the plastic was cracked at one point but looks like it is working correctly.sometimes we can move the plastic lever back and forth and the gears will grind like it is trying to go into gear but it is not.make sense?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
question for you. If the golf cart was at my house I would call you in a minute. But the mechanic that is working on it only speaks Spanish and I don't so makes it hard.Could it be the switches by the handle? Look at this picture. I have no way of getting another one of these just didn't know if you could buypass to see if that was the problem.Thanks,

those switches are for reverse and engine functions if the engine is running and the clutch is spinning its in the rear end somewhere, see if you can grab the shaft with a pair of pliers that the lever is attached to and adjust it that way, if you cant get it to go into gear the next step is to pull the case and more than likely you will an issue in the F N R selectors gears

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you think the gears are worn out or something like that?
The mecanic is in the process of cracking the case to look at it. This seems like a big problem. As I search on the internet and can't find anyone having this kind of problem. Lots of Electric f/r problems but no GAS ones.Not sure what to do at this point except let him get into it and see what he finds. What a pain in the ass!Is there a way I can contact you later when I know more?

is prob something small with the selector gears on the unit, and you can just log back into your e mail even after you rate me today and we can continue talking for a few weeks at no extra charges

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
awesome I will! So hopefully we can talk more soon. If I am not home is there a number I can call to get a hold of you when I am at the mechanics? let me know how that might work. Thanks!

everything has to be done though the system so you can request a call there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay thanks!

sure thing fingers crossed its something minor

TECHPRO49, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Owner at Baltic investments