Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cranks but no gas, fuel pump doesn't pump when switch is on…

Customer Question
Cranks but no gas...

Cranks but no gas, fuel pump doesn't pump when switch is on or when cranking. bench tested pump and it worked. i believe the problem is the open/ closed circuit relay?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

It has 162,000 inherited it from an uncle .. from what i was told it did start, you have to turn the ignition key to on or to crank, and than push a starter botton, my uncle did that to save $ . he didnt want to spend 150.00 on a new key ignition switch. but i was told it ran with that set up for years until he passed and ????

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Toyota?

I know it has fuel injection and its a 22r motor, its real basic, but in great condition. would a vin # help

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i shot quick start fluid into the plastic air cleaner and i kept it running as long as i shot fluid in it., i chanced a Fuel Injection Relay under the driver side kick panel,, couldnt hear the fuel pump when turning the key, so i assumed it was the fuel pump, but when i benched tested the fuel pump after i pulled it out, it worked . but i replaced it anyways . so im assuming its the open close relay

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I went back and tested if i had voltage to the fuel pump and i did not but the sending unit next to it idid

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/11/2017
Toyota Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 8 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Okay, first check the fuses and relay. If they are good, then you must have a wiring issue to the pump. Let me know if you need a diagram.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

i guess i narrowed it down to the circuit opening relay, is there any way to test it before buying a new one
Toyota Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 8 months ago
David Gieswein

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help you. Are you wanting to test the relay itself? Or test the circuit controlling the relay or both?

Toyota Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 8 months ago

Can you specify what is the model of your 2000 Toyota?

it an old 1985 toyota pick up, with a 22r motor
i want to test the relay because i wasn't getting 12 vo;ts to the fuel pump.
Toyota Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 8 months ago

There a few different ways to test the relay, in the car or bench test. To test the relay out of the car you can apply 12 volts to terminal 86 and ground to terminal 85. While you are applying the voltage/ground you will have to do a continuity check between pins 87 and 30. To do an on the car test, you need simply to remove the relay and find pin 85. Once you have found pin 85, wrap a small but long jumper around the pin and then reinstall the relay with the wire attached. Turn the ignition on and ground the jumper wire. You should hear a click from the relay and power should be supplied to the fuel pump. Tech tip: If you remove the relay and check for power, you should have two powers in the socket with the key in the on position.

Toyota Mechanic: David Gieswein,
 replied 8 months ago

Have you had a chance to test the relay?

David Gieswein
David Gieswein
David Gieswein