Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2006 4Runner V6 4wd with the parking brake LIGHT

ON, ABS light on, Vehicle...
I have a 2006 4Runner V6 4wd with the parking brake LIGHT ON, ABS light on, Vehicle stability control light on and traction control light on
JA: Have you checked your brake fluid? The reservoir is located under the hood near the dash.
Customer: brake fluid is full
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i replaced the battery, and through a 4runner forum it was suggested the brake light switch but that didn't work earlier. I checked fuses associated and they all looked good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to try to fix it myself if possible
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/11/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so if your brake fluid level is good we will need to see what codes are in the vehicle and you can get a free code scan at any local auto parts store

C0215, C1223, C1241

so theres a few things here, the 1241 is just a low battery voltage and now that have a new battery have you deleted the codes and see what comes back, and do you have your own scanner?

I have my own scanner. I did not rescan the car after I installed the new battery. All the lights are still on

ok so delete the codes and test drive to see what comes back

Will have to wait to test-drive. Will report back

sounds good ill be around, good luck!

Codes c0215 and c1223 still present

so we will have to tackle 1 at a time the 215 is the left rear wheel speed sensor circuit I would do a visual inspection of the sensor and follow the wire up to the abs unit to see if there is any damage or breaks in the wire its self, if nothing is found the next step is to monitor the sensor on your scanner and see if its giving a different reading than the rest or even communicating at all

the 1223 is a vsc abs detection of a problem and should go away when we find out what is causing the 215, I forgot to mention on the 215 if the wire is ok and you are getting a reading but its a little off it could also be a wheel bearing

check the sensor, replace the sensor, if that doesn't work, chase the break in the wire.

I would suggest doing the other diagnostics before replacing anything

Got it, clean-monitor-chase-panic

lol no panic! if you run into any snags or have questions ill be here for assistance, just take your time and be observant, you will find it no worries

that looks pretty normal, did you fins any issues with the wiring?

Nope, but there's a rattle coming from back left now, you're probably right about the bearing

if its really bad you can feel it in the spring, holh onto spring and rotate the wheel, it will amplify the vibration from the bearing and into your hand

It rattled down the road after I cleared the codes and lights and took it for a test drive. Lights and codes came back pretty quick as well. Just my luck!

are you sure it was a rattle? usually a rear wheel bearing or any bearing will be a roar sounds and increase or decrease noise with speed and cornering.

It was loud enough I could hear it through my sick *NSYNC beats....... and volume did go up with speed

ha ! you can also jack the rear up and have someone accelerate it in drive and you can listen to it with a screwdriver as a sounds amplification tool, just to verify the bearing

hows it going?

Had the wheel bearing inspected and replaced, hopefully this solves all my problems with the lights. Now on to the timing chain cover.........fml

did the lights go out?

Well, funny story......They replaced the driver side front wheel bearing instead of the drivers side rear, so I won't know for a few more days.

ohhhh weird, so you get a free bearing?

Maybe more, will find out tomorrow!
Lights are out AND I got a free wheel bearing!

very good im glad it all worked out

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician