Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2004 Camry has been gradually sounding louder and louder

Customer Question

My 2004 Camry has been gradually sounding louder and louder when I crank it, now my check engine light is on
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet, it just came on about a half hour ago. I am totally clueless when it comes to vehicles. I do, however, keep it well maintained.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, actually this is the first problem I have had with it since I bought it 10 years ago, other than a water pump about 9 years ago.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. "Sounds" made by the engine (mechanical noises) will rarely cause the check engine light to come on. What does cause thsi light to illuminate are sensor faults, engine misfire issues, and other electrical things. IE a bad water pump will not cause the light to come on. So, it looks like you have two different problems. If the car is running normally, you most likely have an emission system issue. If it runs OK, the emission system can be looked at when you have the time to get it diagnosed. If it is running poorly, you need to take this car to a shop and get a computer diagnostic scan done. This will tell the technician where to start looking for the problem.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!