TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

My son, My son's 2009 Matrix lost power steering and now it

My son
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: My son's 2009 Matrix lost power steering and now it won't start.When a friend tried to jump it, it just makes a clicking sound. It may have the original battery. Would a loss of (electric) power steering be related to a failed battery?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: What he told me is that the power steering failed (no more detail) yesterday, then it worked earlier today, then failed again, and now the car won't start. So it seems to be fluctuating.
JA: Are you fixing your Matrix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried nothing. I'm more interested in cars, my son is more interested in modern electronics like cell phones. So when cars fail, I get the calls. I'm thinking (hoping) that a new battery will fix it. I know he's owned the car for ~ 5 years and hasn't replaced the battery, which makes me think it may be original, and its time for a replacement. I'm hoping the steering issue is related to low power supply from a weak battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My son called to say his power steering wasn't working so well yesterday and today, and today his car won't start. I think its due to an old (may be original) battery in his 09 Matrix. If the battery is weak and the engine isn't running fast (when you need power for the steering most) I'm thinking that the weak old battery could power the EPS, and now it can't start the car. Does this sound like a reasonable analysis to you?

oh wow original battery, that should be addressed first and prob all the problems with the system, once installed the alternator needs to be checked

but the power steering is electronically based on that and you would be right with a low battery would be having power steering issues

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure its the original battery, but since my son has owned it for about 5 years and we know he hasn't replaced the battery, it may be original. In 2013, when he bought the car it would have been 4 years old. That's approaching old for an original battery. 8 is old. We'll replace that and see what happens.

well you can just have it checked at the local auto parts store they will run some tests on it and see if needs to be replaced, you could be having a alternator issue as well

hows it coming?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The Matrix needed a new alternator. But a replacement battery didn't hurt it.