Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Spark plugs don't want to unsvrew, 140K. I don't know how…

spark plugs don't want...

spark plugs don't want to unsvrew

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the plugs were changed?

140K. I don't know how long since I bought it used

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2007 RAV4 V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just put some penetrating oil on the front plugs and im letting them soak

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/10/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, get a can of PB Blast and soak the spark plugs with it and let soak for an hour or so and then try to loosen them. It sounds like they may be original plugs and heat corroded between the threads.

where can I get PB blast? I'm in toronto and canadian tire and PartsSource stores are open.
I see PB Blaster at home depot and Canadian Tire. Is that the stuff?

HI,

That is the stuff. Spray it in each spark plug hole until it puddles. It will seep down between the threads and break the corrosion up. It is 100x better the wd40

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I just got back from the store. Gonna spray them now.

HI,

Ok, sounds good and keep me posted

While the plugs are soaking some questions have occurred to me. When the old plugs do come out, is it OK to let the PB Blaster flow down into the cylinders? I have compressed air so I can try to blow some of it out first. should I spin the engine with the starter before I put the new plugs in to make sure it doesn't hydrolock? Will that damage the electronics if I spin the starter without the coils and plugs hooked up?

HI,

There is no need to blow it out. It will seep past the piston rings and be absorbed and diluted by the engine oil and will not hurt or damage anything

I'm try to loosen the front 3 plugs. Now they click a bit when I try to turn them which seems like an improvement. I have been working them back and forth but they are still really stiff after about 1/8 turn. Would it ne bettet to let them soak overnight?

HI,

With them still having that much resistance, soak them some more and let set over night

Okay. I will back at it after dawn tomorrow.

HI,

Ok, sounds good. I will be here all day tomorrow starting at around 7am MST in case you need more help on this

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
It worked! They were still stubborn this morning, but by loosening half a turn and then tightening a quarter turn over and over I was able to get them out without damage to the threads. I think they probably were the original plugs. They looked pretty worn out. Everything went back together and it is running smoother now.
Thanks for your help because you gave me the confidence to continue. I nearly gave up cause I didn't want to break off the plug or strip the threads.

You are welcome and always happy to help out.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager