Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

From san pedro,ca

Customer Question
Good morning from san pedro,ca...
Good morning from san pedro,ca
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/10/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

The tensioner for the timing belt has to be reset. That is done by putting the tensioner in a vice if you have it off the vehicle and depressing it until the pin goes through the housing then hrough the end of the shaft. They make a special service tool that allows you to push against the water pump and against the idler bearing and it will push the tensioner back in so then you can insert the grenade pin through the shaft. Most auto parts stores sell the special service tool if you need the part number let me know. Regarding the timing belt you should've removed everything when it was at top dead center cylinder number one. Then mark the belt and the gears on the camshaft and on the crankshaft and then it has to be reinstalled without the cams being moved while it's at the top dead center cylinder number one position. If you are replacing the belt with a new timing belt which I strongly recommend while you have it apart the new timing belt should have match marks on the belt make sure the arrows are pointed away from the engine and line the marks up on the cam gears and on the crank gear with the marks on the belt.

Do you need any more information?

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician