Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1997 Toyota Camry doesn't have hot air coming out of the…

Customer Question
Hi my 1997 Toyota...

Hi my 1997 Toyota Camry doesn't have hot air coming out of the heater. It has the electronic heater control with A/C. Thanks very much. KP

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked the hoses for leaks?

Hi, I've checked the coolant level - it was nearish the top but I put a liter in to fill it up. Checked all the hoses and they are fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it myself. I tried the heater when the car engine was up to temp on a long drive. With the control set to 32°C it puts out luke warm air. I located the two water pipes coming forward from he firewall. One has a mechanically operated water valve on it - and with the car running, I turn the heater temp from 20°C up to 32°C but this valve does not change position at all. I think it may be in the almost closed position. The mechanical wire goes through the firewall to the heater area inside the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's all, thanks for your help so far.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/9/2017
Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site, thats the heater control valve. make sure the lever didnt come off. if not then replace the valve.

Hi the lever is still connected. When I disconnect the lever and operate the heater control valve by hand it is free to rotate. So I left the lever disconnected and then varied the heater temperature with the control from cold to hot and looked at the linkage wire to see if it moved, but it didn't. Does this appear to be a problem with the heater mechanism itself?

it sounds like the cable on the back of the control panel may have come loose

take a look at this bulletin

Hi, thanks for that info. My Camry doesn't have the mechanical cold/heat rotary dial, it has the electronic heat control with the digital display. Is there a servo that controls the heater cable>

ok, standby

4 or 6 cylinder?

4 cylinder, 2.2l

ok thanks

pull the panel out, and see if theres a cable there because according to the service manual that car wasnt supposed to come with automatic climate control

it does have Automatic climate control. I'm wondering what could have gone wrong that the cable is not modulating the heater control valve. Thanks.

pull the panel and take a look

hows it going?

Not bad thanks. I found the Heater shut-off valve in the water pipe was fairly stiff so have ordered another one. I traced the cable from this shut-off valve to the heater blend air servo. Removed the servo & checked the circuit board inside. All the components are working. Cleaned all the contacts & put it back together & plugged it in. It rotates now. So I just have to wait for the heater shut off valve. Thanks.

ok, but you said in one of your replies that it was free to rotate? that through me off a bit because that valve is almost always the issue.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician