Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid. It is showing P3190 code…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid. It is showing P3190 code and sometimes P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire code and P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range?Performance problem. 5000 miles ago I changed the spark plugs. When this happened it would only go up to 20 miles an hour and then eventually would not even do that. I would reset and could go for several miles before it would do it again, but never getting above 20 mph. I had it towed home. I changed the PCV valve which did look dirty and I cleaned out the MAF sensor along with changed the air filter. Reset codes. Nothing changed. Same codes came back up. I just changed all the ignition coils and changed the MAF sensor with a new one. Reset the codes. Now it is still same problem. No power. Up to 20 mph. Then poops out. Codes showing now are P3190, P0101 and P0301. The gas tank was filled up when this first happened.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Well it sounds like it is reving higher, but it only goes to 20 mph if it goes at all. It also shows Hybrid battery light and VSC light.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

In my first post I said everything I have done. Is this a bot?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This is all.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Toyota
Just so that I am clear. I changed the spark plugs 5000 miles ago because several misfire codes were showing. But there was no power loss or anything like that. After I changed the spark plugs, everything was great. No codes. Fuel consumption was ideal. Everything has been great until the other day when loss of power on the highway and these different codes showed up.
9/9/2017
Toyota Mechanic: john, The Car Guy replied 11 months ago
john
john, The Car Guy

very likley the #1 ignition coil has failed..The 3190 code will only set because the engine performance or torque that the computer is expected to see by way of the hybrid control system is not what it is supposed to be. This means there is a severe loss of power in the gasoline engine. This could be because of bad fuel or multiple other things. It could be a timing issue could be a compression issue could be restricted injectors and the list can go on and on. Have you pull the spark plugs to see how they look? Have you tried to pump all of the gas out of the system and test it for water and ethanol contamination? The first place to start would be fuel contamination if you had no signs of trouble leading up to the current fill up at the independent station.

The spark plugs were changed 5000 miles ago. The ignition coils were all changed yesterday. Same problems.What would you suggest I do next?

do you have a compression gauge?

it could be internal or even a bad injector..can you check compression?

I can check compression on Monday. What should compression be at? If compression is fine should I just replace the injectors next?

compression should be within 10 percent on all cylinders if one is real low then further investigation is needed...if the compression is good and even injectors are next

Hello. I was really busy with work and called out. I need to still do the compression test. I have a compression gauge but now I need to figure out how to test the compression on a Hybrid. It might be a little different. Any pointers?

its the same as any internal combustion engine