Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 99 Tacoma four-wheel-drive with a 2.7 motor and I

Customer Question

I have a 99 Tacoma four-wheel-drive with a 2.7 motor and I replaced it with 04 motor. I keep getting PO 505 code. I replaced IAC valve, new throttle position, check for vacuum leaks, but as soon as the motor gets to operating temperature. It kicks the code.
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer:*****AND HIGHWAY
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked for vacuum leaks replace that I AC valve and the throttle position
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When you turn on the AC the RPMs increase a little and we checked the PVC hose
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a scan tool with live data .

Greg

Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Clear codes and do a test drive with out using the A/C .

Still same problem?

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still same problem
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a scan tool with live data reading .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I DO.THANKS
TED
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Okay good go into RPM /Engine speed in live data ,get engine to eoperating temp.

The with the underhood DLC jump the pins TE1 and E1.

Note idle speed before jumping the two pins then not after .

Let me know if you have a change in rpm.

Check short fuel trim at idle and then again at 2500rpm .get me the readings .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
RPM WAS AT 1300 AND WITH JUMPER IT WAS 1000 RPM CHECK LITE TRIPPED, RPM 980. I CHECKED WIRES FROM IAC TO COMPUTER AND ARE OK. 12.8 VOLT ON WHT/RED. I GUESS I DON'T HAVE READER WITH LIVE DATA?
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a question before we proceed. have you checked the comparability with the original ECU to that newer engine you installed as it may have different values for that circuit. You can call or go to a dealer and ask the parts department to cross reference those two possible ECU's to see if they upgrade.

The other thing you can try even though you said you replaced the IAC the passages may be clogging so you can try cleaning them. I will send a video how to do this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
CALLED DEALER IN RENO, SAID NO DIFFERENT. TOOK OFF THROTTLE BODY AND CLEANED AND BLEW OUT PASSAGES. STILL TRIPS CODE.THANKS
TED

Then I would do as I suggested and check to see if that ECU is compatible for that engine, parts can cross reference it and tell you that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I GOT A FREEZE FRAME READER AND ON FUEL SYS 1 CL, FUEL SYS 2 CL=FAULT.
ECM AND ECU, THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

one of the same

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
LIKE I SAID, RENO TOYOTA PARTS SAID THE ECU'S THERE NO DIFFERENCE.WHAT'S GOING ON WITH FUEL SYS 2 CL=FAULT????THANKS
TED

ok this can be either a faulty oxy sensor or gas flow. What I would have you do first is to apply vacuum to the egr valve directly and see if it stalls. let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
AL READY DID THAT AND YES IT STALLS MOTORTHANKS
TED

then the next thing to do is monitor the oxygen sensors , If you can use a scanner showing live data and graphs you can follow the performance of all the oxygen sensors.