Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with a 4.7 engine. I

I have a 2006 Toyota...
I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with a 4.7 engine.
I replaced the timing belt and water pump and the intake gaskets as we had to remove it to replace a gasket on the thermostat housing.
It ran just fine for a week, then started running ruff and barely limped it home.
I changed the spark plugs and added some fuel injector cleaner after and ran about 2 gallons of premium gasoline though it at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes.
Still runs ruff and will die at idle speed.
The only code that is showing up now is a P0300 code now with multiple miss-fires
When I first hooked up the scanner it was gigging me a P30300 code along with codes for miss-fires on 6 different cylinders along with a code for mass-air flow sensor.
Those codes are now gone and only the P0300 remains.
I’ve checked all the electrical plus and fuel connections as well
I also sprayed starting fluid around the intake to check for leaks and found none
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?
Customer: what leak?
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: read
I am getting two other codes P0113 and P0102
9/8/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Okay
MAF sensor issue is p0102, if unplug the MAF sensor while running does engine stumbles ,rpm surges up or no efffect
engine dies
What am i to do with these?
Is the p0300 still there
as stated in original email, I already did that and no difference
If the p0300 still there the intake gasket you replaced could have broken when installed ,did you have problem lining up the gaskette ,usually will taken2 people to drop it just right ?
If you feel I m not helping and u getting frustrated m, I can opt out and let another expert help you ,you just let me know 'there is no One answer on this one here
Let me know what you want to do , this will take some back and forth so it's is up to you , I can not see ,touch or smell the car ,so I have to ask you
I just answer your question you make the call if you can help or not
If the p0300 still exist , if you have a scaner read live data , we need our fuel trim levels ,should read +- 5 to 7 % , if any is above that number ,you have a vacuum leak
There long term fuel trims and short terms
Also the fuel status should read closed loop when running after it reached operating temperature
Can you get me those readings
give me 10-15 minutes to run the test
i'll get back to you with the results
at what RPM should i run the test

ok sounds good ,I will be here

if i do not answer right away ,give me few minutes to finsih up other call and i wil answer you back

IDLE PLEASE NO RPM

ALSO PULL UP OXYGEN SENSOR ,ARE THE UPSTREAM FLUCTUATING FROM 0 TO 1 VOLST AND DOWN STREAM ALSO FLUCTUATING BUT WAY SLOWER THEN UPSTREAM ONES ??

the truck will not stay running at idle 1000-1200 rpm is lowest i can keep it running

OK , IF YOU TURN SWITCH FROM OFF TO ON ,WAIT 30 SECS BACK TO OFF WAIT 30 SECS THEN START DOES IDLE DROP DOWN TO 750 LIKE IT NEEDS BE

NOW THE IDLE WILL BE HIGH IF COLD BUT SHOULD DROP ,NOT SURE IF CAR IS COLD OR WARM NOW ?

The truck is Warm
Tried what you asked still dies at idle
I can hold the foot pedal and keep it running at around 900-950 rpm's
P0300 , read the most common ,
Do you want me to s4nd the troubleshoot for all. You have to go thru them one by one
What do i do about the idle speed, you did not answer that question or give me direction as what to do about the previous tests you asked me to perform?

YOU ARE IDLE SPEED WILL NOT BE FIXED BEFORE FIXING P0300

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW

can you view this test sir , are you able to perform these steps for p0300
i understand you are frustrated ,but i did not cause this problem , i m trying to help you here

and i did answer and keep answering your questions ,again this not a simple issue ,

what other questions you have

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Sorry you did not help, you set me to charts i believe simply because you did not have an answer
Better if you would simply state that you did not have an answer to the direct question asked.
No shame in say "you do not know"
Very poor response "I did not cause the problem"

no problem sir, I will let another expert help you maybe he has more info on it and have an acceptable answer for you

Please do not reply back to me since it will lock the question back to me and other expert want see the question to assist you further

good luck with it

mike switzer

i read through everything here and i am assumiong you have a scanner that will show data is that correct. doers it show generic functions?

and we may be looking at making sure the mechanical timing did not jump. as this will set all these codes. if it skips one way the vacuum will drop and set the maf code and the mis fire codes.

I'm back on working on the truck
Just to make certain, I realigned the timing marks on the crank and both cams.
All looks right.
One reading on the scanner that does not seem correct.
During the live test i see a reading of 23-25 "spark advance" at 1500-2000 rpm
could that adjustment have moved?
I'm standing by waiting for your recommendation of next step to check
I do have a scanner CEN-TECH Professional OBDII & CAN Scan Tool Item # 60694
I can't find where the phrase "generic functions" is mentioned< I am also unfamiliar with that phrase. Let me know what to look for here.

NO YOU cant adjust the timing on those and that looks right for the rpms you are at. if you can find a spot on that scanner that shows misfire counters that may help you locate the actual cylinder as it could just be weak spark. but it sounds like you may have a vacuum leak somewhere that is causing it. i know you mentioned you sprayed brake clean around and found none.

what do you recommend that i try.
the scanner only gives a P0300 code not a code for individual cylinders

i know this is why if you can find the functions for misfire counters it will show you which cylinders it is counting misfires on. this will help you see if its just one bank or spread out across the engine does that make sense

let me do a live test while running and scroll though the functions and see what i can come up with,
i'll get back to you in a bit

no problem

I did a live test and came up with nothing regarding counting misfires on any cylinders.I do have a lot of data that i can share SHRFT1 20.3 & SHRFT2 20.3and 20 other data points.let me know what you would like to see that would help

none of that would help. misfire counter is not in data monitor. generally most scanners like your on the main screen it will show different modules IE engine, transmission, abs and so on there may be one titled either generic functions or obd

OBDII/EOBD IS WHERE I GET THE P0300 CODE
This is what it gives me in the menu
Read codes
Erase codes
Live data
View freeze frames
On board mon. Test
Component test vehicle info.
Modules present
Unit of measure

then the scanner you have wont do any help on this. you said you rechecked the mechanical timing and all was good. because it started a few weeks after the work i wouldnt think you have a missing ground. all issues point to a vacuum leak after the maf. and because of those intakes and if you were testing while holding the rpm up then spraying brake clean will do no good. i need you to physically check all vacuum and pcv lines going to the intake. if that does not find anything then the intake needs to come off to inspect the gasket and surface.

All lines were inspected and are contacted and show nor signs of breaks or leaksI'll pull the intake tomorrow and inspect and let you know
Thanks

no problem

mike switzer
Mike,
I had to leave the truck for a few days,
I pulled the intake per your recommendation and replaced the seals, while it was off i inspected the intake and looked into the valve cavities .
All looked good.
I found no problems that i could see.
It now starts and runs good with no codes on the scanner.
BUT i now have an engine Knock and ticking noise.
The knock comes from the right bank, using a long wooden dowel it is louder when i place it on the exhaust shield, rather than the head.
I pulled the plugs and cranked the engine to blow out any possible carbon that i may have dislodged.
I also looked into the cylinders with a camera and did not see anything that in the cylinders
Any Thoughts?
Could a piece of carbon be lodged in the exhaust valve? that i cant see from the top with a camera?

sounds like lifter tick to me this is common and if the vehicle was sitting for some time it could have developed an air pocket in one of them. let it run for a few days and see if the noise goes away. if it seems to increase of course do not keep driving. also try adding some "BG MOA" to the oil you can get it at your local dealer. it is a very good oil additive that can help keep things clean.

Does the 4.7 have lifters? I thought the cam shaft pushed the vales directly with no lifters.

they have poppet style lifter also known as shimbuckets that are hydraulic but very minimally. all vehicles have lifters its just the pushrods that have been eliminated

Anyway to narrow the know down to the lifters?

they have poppet style lifter also known as shimbuckets that are hydraulic but very minimally. all vehicles have lifters its just the pushrods that have been eliminated which cylinder does it sound closest to when you tested on the exhaust side.

6 right side

then it will be most likely the two at 6 or one of the cylinders next to it. just the closest lifter though

Any test that i can do other than listen?
Can they be adjusted

not the hydraulics of them no.. the shim oon top yes but that is only ever needed during engine assembly. unfortunately there is no other test.

10-4
I'll try the BG for a few days and let you know.Thanks

sounds good. like i said it should not get louder if it does i would advise to not keep driving. also i just had a though you can pull that plug and check the porcelain for cracks as if it does it will arc and the arc can sound like a lifter aswell.

mike switzer
mike switzer
mike switzer