Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

It wil not turn over. I have replaced the spark plugs, check…

Hello. It wil not...

Hello. It wil not turn over. I have replaced the spark plugs, check the battery and started they are both good, replaced the radiator, new crank system, new timing belt, has gas. But it still will not crank though it does make a noise like it wants to turn over but it seems like its not getting enough power

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No the battery is good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Sequioa 02

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I have someone working in it. All the things that i stated in the first message is what we replaced thinking that was it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats about it

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Just so I am clear here, the engine will crank but won't start?
Or no cranking at all?

It will make a noise like it want to crank up but wont

Ok

Did it have any running or starting issues prior to the timing belt replacement?

Hello

Did you see my question?

No. It did run hot one time that's when we replaced the radiator then the last time it ran hot that's when it didn't want to start up anymore

Ok

A couple of things I would try and you may have already. I can see you've done a lot of work here.

First, try spraying some carb cleaner directly into the throttle and then crank the engine. If it has spark and compression and is only lacking fuel, then it should run for a few seconds. If it won't run for a few seconds, I would do a compression test. This is for a couple of reasons, first to make sure the timing is on, secondly to make sure nothing bad happened to the engine when it overheated. I would also check and make sure any security lights go out. It could be the security system preventing the truck from starting.

If the truck will start for a few seconds on the car cleaner, then that would indicate either a fuel pressure issue or the fuel injectors aren't working. This will lead to further testing.

Please try this and let me know.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Where exactly is the throttle

The throttle is on the engine where the air cleaner duct work connects up on top of the engine. one side has the airl cleaner, the other side is the throttle. Take the hose off of it and spray the cleaner in there.

OK. And if it's the security system what will I need to do?

In that case the key would need to be reprogrammed either by the dealer or a mobile locksmith.

They would need the whole truck to do that as well.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

One more question. Just for my understanding, So with it making noise and seeming like it want to start it still maybe the security system?

Possibly, but I think it's more or less going to come down to the timing being off to be honest.

That's why a compression test would be helpful. If you have some very low cylinders it could point to that being the problem.

carguy1
carguy1, auto technician
OK. Thank you for your help I really appropriate it

You are very welcome, thank you for the rating, I really appreciate it!

carguy1
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician