Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a water leak in the trunk of my 2002 avalon when it…

I have a water...

I have a water leak in the trunk of my 2002 avalon when it rains. Water is filling both rear wheel wells and the spare tire area. any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

It is definitely water and quite a bit of it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only ran water across the top of the car using a hose. It seems to lead into both wheels wells at the same rate of fill

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just ask if he knows what it could be or who would be best to find a leak of this type

9/7/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

If you are getting water into the trunk, the more common problem here will be a worn trunk weatherstrip. This is the rubber "seal" that is around the perimeter of the trunk compartment (sorry, can't seem to find a good clear image of it). The best method to find/confirm this is to use the garden hose like you have been. Unfortunately, this may be a Dealer-only item. You "may" be able to find one in an aftermarket brand, but more times than not, there's some "adjusting" or "fitting" that needs to be done. It's just not identical to the original and usually doesn't seal as well. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -