Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It starts, barely, then right away dies. 1993 t-100. I fully…

Customer Question
It starts, barely, then...

It starts, barely, then right away dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

1993 t-100

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your T100 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I fully charge battery and replace cables

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ran good 2 days ago

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

What if you try spraying some starting fluid directly into the air intake? does it seem to run better that way? and will it run longer by spraying it? I'm thinking it's a fuel delivery problem if it starts and then dies quickly after that.

think it could be the fuel pressure regulator because few days ago I was driving and all of a sudden it was losing power. almost as if it was out of gas. had to slightly pump the gas just to make it home.

I understand. It's probably the pump in my opinion, Is it the original fuel pump to your knowledge? or have you had it changed before? How long have you had the truck?

not as yet,

Alright, will it start now and run ok? or does it stumble and cut off?

I just recently purchased it. first sign was when it died going across the bay bridge. bridge service truck noticed my cable was very loose. tighten it gave me jump and drove great until dying agin 2 miles .had to get jump again. losing po

Alright, are the battery cables now clean and tight?

brand new,fully ncharged battery
my dad thinks it some kind of electronic box or fuse that controls fuel flow

Alright, so it does fire up and run now but it just stumbles and runs bad is that right?

no, it wants to start, but before it goes to idle it dies
it wants to start but before it goes to idle it dies

Alright, do you have any starting fluid or carb cleaner by chance?

I do, but you don't think its the fuel pressure regulator
cause when I give it a little gas as it starts to idle it dies
makes a loud noise , like a back fire noise

It's possible, but not my first theory. pull the hose off the fuel pressure regulator. Is there any gas in it? or does it run any better with the hose pulled off by chance?

I am at the library right now will try that when I get back. and if there is gas in it or runs better, what then

Then I would replace the pressure regulator. If it makes no difference and runs better on starting fluid or carb cleaner, then I suspect the fuel pump is weak. The pressure regulators don't go bad that often on these, which is why I believe it may be the pump itself, but it could be the regulator is broken, if it is, you will have gas in the vacuum line going to it. I believe it's one or the other. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Hello, following up with you. We're you able to narrow down the culprit on the truck any? thank you.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician