Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Re 2012 Sienna Limited. Over time I have a "rattle" or light

Customer Question

Re 2012 Sienna Limited. Over time I have a "rattle" or light "thud that appears to come from the back of the van. It occurs sometimes on a right or left turn, a startup from stop, etc. I am not sure if it is a side door or the rear deck lid. Someone suggested a brake caliper rattle but it still occurs when I apply a slight brake pressure.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I suspect a door needs adjustment
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No attempts myself but it stated about 15K miles with it getting more frequent with 45K current mileage
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it for now and thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

By any chance did you take it to the dealer while it was still under the 3year/36K warranty?

If it was a loose door you should be able to duplicate it by pushing/pulling on the door, it sounds more like a suspension noise, possibly a loose sway bar or the sway bar links in the back. It could also be a loose exhaust pipe or muffler due contact with the body for some reason. Is the noise ever there when going straight over rough pavement?

does it seem to ne coming from the inside instead?