TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

My son's 99 toyota 4runner blows the fuse for the guages

My son's 99 toyota 4runner blows the fuse for the guages when he shifts from park into gear. Do you think there could be some wiring next to the shifter that might be damaged? Thanks Matt
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing myself and all I did was replace the fuse and the same thing happened when I put the vehicle into gear. I was going to check for any wiring damage near the shifter but figured I'd ask first.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it. Thanks

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Do you loose all power to the gauges or just the lights?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All power to the guages is gone. I even just tried putting in a new fuse while it was in neutral and it blew right away. If it's in park, the fuse doesn't blow until shifting to a different gear.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Probably wasn't the best time for me to start this as I have head out right now. I'll look for a response later. Thanks

hey no worries ill be here all day, im looking at some diagrams now, also what fuse is blowing does it have a number or description on it, just so we are on the same page, there are a few different fuses for the cluster

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's on the driver's side in the middle column of fuses and is labelled "Guage" and is a 10amp fuse. It's the second one from the top. Thanks

so there is a black/yellow wire going to the vehicle speed sensor I would check it and other wires for rubbing and damage under the vehicle, this doc shows all the speed sensors for the different transmissions your should only have 1 or 2 depending on what trans is in that model

hows it coming?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Probably shouldn't have bothered with this unless I could've stayed with it that day. Too busy at work all week and not really much time on the weekends. Odd thing is it will happen 3 to 5 times in a row and then not for awhile. Has only happened once since my first note, but happened 5 times in a row before I got online. Thanks

sure thing no worries, ill be around, sounds like a wire rubbing somewhere