Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Sienna lift gate will not stay open. How can I fix this or

Customer Question
Sienna lift gate will...
Sienna lift gate will not stay open. How can I fix this or should I have the
JA: What year is your Sienna?
Customer: 2008. About what would a dealer charge to fix it?
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix it my self but have not tried so far.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The lift gate will open with either the key fob or dash button. either way, the gate goes up and quickly goes down.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Today I open it manually and prop it open with a stick about 2 ft. long.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/7/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This is usually due to the supports not holding up the gate anymore needing replaced.There are different part numbers and costs depending on the specific model you have as shown below.The support shock has to be obtained from a dealer in most all cases.

Trunk / Liftgate Shock / Support

Liftgate

Lift Cylinder

Without XLE

68905AE021 $191.20

With XLE

Without Auto & Easy

68905AE021 $191.20

With Auto & Easy

68905AE011 $174.94

In some cases it may be easy to replace removing the clips that hold the supports in place and in other cases depending on the model you have and which shocks it is above it is best for a shop or dealer to replace them.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician