sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I am having the same problem as the customer in this

Customer Question

I am having the same problem as the customer in this conversation--the tire pressure, brake light, and ABS light all came on while on vacation. My 2002 Sienna has 144K miles and had a new alternator put on last year. Before vacation we had front and rear brakes replaced complete with pads, shoes, and drums at the Toyota Dealership with genuine Toyota parts. The tire pressure and brake lights eventually went off but the ABS light will NOT go off. My van has been in their shop for 1 month and 1 day with them trying to do different fixes, and it stays lit. We are recommended to have the actuator assembly replaced at a $2600 cost. We just spent $3000 in July for new tires and brakes. My question is this...would or could the ABS light come on out of wear and tear or would/could it have anything to do with any work that was done in July? I am trying to figure liability. The dealership has accepted all costs so far this past month which tells me they are either fantastic with customer service or feeling guilty about a bad brake job. I am impaired when it comes to knowing about the mechanics. I need help! I don't want to have spent $5600 when the van, at best, ***** ***** only $3200. Thank you!
JA: Have you checked your tire pressure? Do you have a tire gauge?
Customer: All is good.
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, it is at the dealership. For a whole month already.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know of anything else.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 1 month ago.

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. have the dealer do the following this should fix the problem. Monitor the Wheel Speed Sensors while driving to see if the left front and right rear Wheel Speed Sensor (WSS) signals go to 0 mph or read differently that the other two. See if the codes reset.

2. If the right rear and left front WSS signals drop to 0 mph and the others read correctly, scope the right rear and left front WSS signals at the ABS actuator and Electronic Control Unit (ECU) for clean consistent AC sine wave signals. If the signals remain good even when the scan tool shows the left front and the right rear WSS readings at 0 MPH, the ABS actuator and Electronic Control Unit (ECU) has likely failed.

3. If you don't have a scope, swap the two wires for the left front WSS and the two wires for the right front WSS at the ABS actuator and Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and see if it still sets a code C0205. If it does the ABS actuator and Electronic Control Unit (ECU) has likely failed. If it sets a code C0200 there is a problem with the left front WSS circuit. Be sure to switch the wiring back to normal after diagnosis is complete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Did you see my question and dilemma in the above? I need to figure who is paying for this mess. Thanks!

OK sorry for the miss understanding. I will opt out and see if another expert can help with this problem.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if it is the hydraulic control unit that needs to be replaced. The hydraulic control unit is in no way affected by replacing brake pads, shoes or drums and is not in the area that the work was done. If it has failed it is not related to the maintenance that was done to the base brake system, the dealer would not be accountable for this unrelated failure.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!