Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I changed my Denso spark plugs with NGK's on my 2007 Toyota…

Customer Question
I changed my Denso...

I changed my Denso spark plugs with NGK's on my 2007 Toyota Tacoma and when I go to start my truck, it turns on for 2 seconds and then dies. Also, there is white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I only disconnected the negative terminal on my battery as well. I took out the NGK's and put back the Denso plugs and it does the exact same thing. Any advice would be appreciated!

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?

I'm at 189,000 and I changed them 30,000 miles ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I've torque them to spec and the gapping is within spec as well. I took out the new plugs and installed the old ones and the same problem occurs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I disconnected some of the hoses on the drivers side to get to the coils and plugs

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
8/24/2017
Toyota Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 6 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

If you had the battery disconnected, close all the doors and lock them. The unlock the drivers door with the key. Turn the ignition switch to the run position with out trying to start the engine. Leave the key in the run position for 30 minutes so the anti theft system can relearn the key. It is best to connect a battery charger so the battery voltage will not drop to low.

Thank you, I'll give this a try and get back to you later on today.

You are very welcome.

After 30 min do I attempt to turn the truck on while the key is still in the run position or do I pull the key out, reinsert it and then try to turn the truck on? I don't know if this matters or not.

You will need to turn the switch back to the off position, then try to start the engine. You will need to hold the throttle so the engine runs at 1500 rpms for about 5 minutes so the pcm can relearn the idle. Then slowly drop the rpms down till you can take your foot off of the gas pedal all together.

Just gave it a go and the engine doesn't even want to hold it at idle. It shuts off as soon as it starts

Did you hold the gas pedal down a little to bring the idle up before you started the engine?

I did, I held the pedal down before starting the truck

What size engine does your truck have in it/

It's a 4.0

Can you hear the fuel pump running?

Fuel pump is running

Do you have a test light?

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech