Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Rav4 4 cyl. 2.4 Litre engine. I am having the…

I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Rav4 4 cyl. 2.4 Litre engine. I am having the problem with the P0420 and P0430 codes coming on saying cat. converter is working below threshold. I've put in a new mufler and replaced all 4 02 sensors within the past 2 months, but still get this message after driving for a while (especially when I drive up steep grades.) I bought this car in 2007 at 39,000 miles and the check engine light would come on then. (It's always done this.) Now, I have 209,000 miles on it. I doubt that the previous owner ever applied for the Toyota Emissions Warranty. I need these codes to clear so that I can pass emissions inspection. Any recommendations?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a mechanic do it, but I did use after-market components for the downstream A/F sensors which were replaced on July 28.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

8/20/2017
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and ready to assist you and will work hard to satisfy your questions for a 5 star ratting.

You said you replaced the muffler? But not the catalytic convertor and that is what is causing this. It either needs replacing or has been removed by the previous owner and the oxy sensors work in pairs one in front and one behind that convertor to monitor it's operation.The way we tell is to hook up our shop scanner and look at those oxy sensors operation. I will send you pics and info further info on this so you can better understand what is happening and if you need further advice just ask.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Thanks
I don't need any further advice.

ok so do you understand how it operates and what needs to be done/