Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Sunroof is stuck open, 2003 Toyota celica gt, trying to fix…

sunroof is stuck open ...

sunroof is stuck open

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2003 Toyota celica gt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Celica yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix it myself. I pulled out the switch and unplugged the wiring harness going from the switch to the motor and plugged it back in, I dropped the dome light to look for a wiring harness that I could use a volt meter to test but couldn't find one. I checked the fuse in the kick panel, it was fine. I put a circuit tester on the battery and checked for a short but it didn't seem to have a short either. the light on the switch will come back on everyonce and a while but when I click the switch it goes out, and the motor has no power...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Yes I checked the manual and it said to test the battery, the battery is still good. I downloaded the chilton manual for the wiring schematics and such but I don't know where to check for the grounds or relays in the vehicle

8/20/2017
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a question before we proceed. Do you have any power to the sun roof switch ? Did you manually close your roof or do you need procedure to do so until we figure this out/

currently there is no power to the switch. occasionally on the road, the light on the switch will illuminate, but when i push the button it goes out and stays out. i havent been able to get a reading on my meter when testing the switch. there is a red and black line going into the switch and a black and green wire going to the sunroof motor, ive tested it where the line comes into the switch but havent gotten a reading. if there is a manual close option i havent done it yet, mainly because I imagine I would have to drop the headliner and want to exhaust any other option before I do that. the personal light which is a circuit located close to the sunroof is also a bit glitchy, it works on the door setting but not in the on setting. possibly related? maybe a loose ground?

that it could be but lets get your roof closed first. if you look directly up to where the motor drive would go into the rail you can see the shape of tool you need to turn it with and you can do so without damaging anything , you will just be taking the place of the motor drive.

Have you got a circuit tester to check for both grounds and power? Also have you located the sunroof's module?

Thanks for your help, I was busy for a few days and wasnt able to get to work on the sunroof until today. In the 2003 model the dome light and switch are separate, so the only view points of the sunroof motor are from the switch housing and under the dome light, neither of them give a great view of the sunroof motor. As I was looking for a hex head screw, or something that looked like a manual close screw I ended up pulling down the headliner a bit(didnt have to take it all the way down) I was able to see the wires leading to the switch. I followed the path into the column where the wire had been spliced with a butt connector and went ahead and redid the connection there which gave the switch power ( I could tell because it illuminated the switch) bit still it had no power, I followed the wire further down under the steering column and found there was a fuse under there. It was still a good fuse, but it was a 25a fuse and I saw the small print said 20a max, so I replaced it with a 20a fuse and it opens and closes now without a hitch. I recently purchased the vehicle, so the person before must have made the mistake. Thank you for your help, now off to the car wash.

You have to drop the front of the headliner slightly to get access to the motor after you drop that center garnish with the switch in it.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician