Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2010 prius has Check Hybrid System display and all indicator…

2010 prius has Check Hybrid...
2010 prius has Check Hybrid System display and all indicator lights are on
8/19/2017
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello and welcome,

Have you checked the 12 volt battery in the trunk or tried to jump start it, there is a good chance that it is discharged and may need to be replaced.

We tried to access the 12v battery in the trunk/back of car, but couldn't locate it. Prior to looking for the battery car wasnt wanting turn on. After we looked for battery... unplugged this orange thing, then plugged it back in. Thats when we got the Check Hybrid.
Can you help me locate the 12v battery?
Did i just pay $10 for that answer? Because that didn't answer my question.

The 12 volt battery is in the trunk on the right side under the spare tire covers.

We are at the trunk, spare tire out. Thats how far we're looking. Dont see a battery.
Need more than this answer to even find the battery. There is a metal "plate" that says HIGH VOLTAGE on the right. What do we need to do to get to the battery??

It will be in the fender well on the right side.

We replaced the 12v battery. Still wont drive and still says Check Hybrid System. Now what???
Sorry, I'm just really frustrated.

Earlier you mentioned removing the orange service plug, it sounds like you may have not put it back on correctly, after it's pushed on push the lever in the push the whole plug down to complete the HV battery circuit. Most people forget that last step and by the way, removing the plug is a little unsafe due to the high voltage involved.

Okay we ensured the orange plug was all good and the handle thing is clipped. The Check Hybrid System message is still there. All indicators still lit and the power button turns orange once you take foot off brake.

And you pushed it DOWN after the handle was pushed in?

he said he pushed it down.

Thanks but that's all I have for now so I am going to have to opt out and see if another tech has some input, thanks for visiting the site and good luck.

Thanks

You're welcome.

Hey Ted, my husband pushed tbe handle down again and the car starts and drives!!!! Thank you again!! Now we just have a check engine light on.

That's great, any autoparts store like Autozone can help with that , they can get the trouble codes for you at no charge or you can try just disconnecting the negative battery cable and it may just stay off, the ECM probably saw a voltage interruption from the HV battery and triggered a code, glad to hear it's all well and please take a moment to rate positively, much appreciated.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Will do. We just checked the car again and the check engine light was out!
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech