Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I will be in the US for a few months (exchange student) and

Hey i will be in...
Hey i will be in the US for a few months (exchange student) and want to buy a cheap used car for that. So i just took a 2001 toyota corolla with 106000 miles for $2500 to a pre purchase inspection. This is what they told me:
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: oil leak at pls pump oil leak rearmain seat oil leak valve corner basket and the winshield reservoir tank is broken which isnt too bad i guess
8/19/2017
Merlin Beerens
Merlin Beerens, Auto Mechanic

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I would like to help answer your question today. Are you just looking for feedback on whether or not this corolla is a good buy?

i want to know if I should buy it or not. I have read that oil leaks are very common for older cars and are not to bad as long as I constantly check the oil status and buy a high milage or stop leak oil. So can these oil leaks be considered just normal wear and tear? I want to drive that car for a few months and then hopefully sell it again. And also is $2500 a good price under these circumstances? One of the rear doors also has little dent..
Without seeing the oil leak personally, I won't be able to access the severity of the leak, but I have worked on hundreds of these cars, and the oil leak locations you mention are very common and normally not a major issue, what you should be more concerned about is if the car smokes blue at all from the tailpipe when the engine is hot or cold, this would indicate a more serious problem. So I would say that you should be ok with this car, granted that the oil isn't noticeably dripping on the ground.
Ok thanks and how about the price is $2500 okay for that?
it has 106000 miles and besides the oil leaks its has a dent in the left back door and a little rusty spot behind the rear right wheel
Again without actually being able to see the body damage or the rust, or accident history, I can't say for sure the value, but I just did a quick scan of my local craigslist, and in my opinion, I would say there should be room for a bit of negotiation, perhaps 1900-2000, just use the oil leak repairs as reason for negotiating. But i know these cars very well, and it should be very reliable for you.
Ok thank you very much!

Great, happy to help, please don't forget to rate my service, and if you have any more questions regarding this question, please don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help.

Merlin Beerens
Merlin Beerens, Auto Mechanic
okay i just bought the car do i have to buy a high milage oil or something similar? and how do i check the oil? ( this is my first car)

Hi there, congratulations on your purchase. If the car doesn't burn any oil (smoke blue) especially on a cold start up, I don't see why you shouldn't run the recommended oil which is a 5w30. If you are finding that the leaks are very bad (ie dripping on the ground where you park) You can run 10w30, but I wouldn't recommend any thicker. I have sent you a picture of where you can find your oil level dipstick.

I found that stick before but how do measure it I guess it has to be between the two dots right?

It needs to be at the top dot, when it is at the lower dot, it is about 1 litre low in oil.

Ok then i might have to buy one the next months. Thank you for your help
Merlin Beerens
Merlin Beerens
Merlin Beerens, Auto Mechanic