Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

The rear differential won't disengage. I just bought the

The rear differential won't disengage. I just bought the 1998 Tacoma. Reading the manual and trying all things out. It locked in and will not come out.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 175000, I bought it on Monday. Driven it all week in two wheel mode. Just trying to learn about the features. I don't really want to remove actuator and trash it just yet. No parts store thinks they can get e a new actuator.
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only called around trying to find an actuator. I have replaced them on Ford and Chevrolet front ends. I figured it was about the same thing. The just freeze up when not being used for an extended period of time.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: So far that's the only issue I have.

Thanks for posting

start the engine, put the transfer case in neutral, push the diff lock button to off, put the transfer back to 2wd and drive it a few feet.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok nothing changed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not paying anymore money to try things I have already done.

D​isconnect the battery for a minute or so. The diff lock does not lock unless the button is pushed on the dash, so unless it was pushed I don't see how it is coming on and locking the diff. It is possible the lock actuator on the diff is stuck in the lock position, by the way whether it's turned on or not it only works below 5 mph.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I turned it on to Check it out. It was not moving. I just bought the truck. It will not disengage.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The only thing I know to do is remove the locking pin. I really need to drive the truck in the A.m. doesn't look like that is going to be possible though. I was hoping for a quick fix.

O​k, it is controlled by the*****computer after the switch is turned on so there is a possibility that the problem may be there or like I said the actuator is just stuck, since you just bought it anything is possible. If you bought it from a dealer you should take it there and request to have this fixed, if from a private party then good luck, you are stuck with whatever it takes to fix and this may be the reason they sold it. If you got a good deal take it in and have it diagnosed by a dealer they should be able to tell you exactly what is wrong after doing some tests.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well thanks for trying, but I got it from an individual. It was worth the $20.00 bucks for a try. I have little experience on Toyota's.

You're welcome, please click on the accept button or a positive rating so I am compensated for helping, thanks