Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Ghl, 2008 highlander sport, Looks like it, I took it to the

ghl JA: What is the model/year...
ghl
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2008 highlander sport
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Looks like it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I took it to the dealer and he said water is not draining from inside the front fenders causing water to accumulate in the front floor boards. He says the sunroof hoses are clear! He was trying to sell me a 2014 odessy at the same time!!!!!
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/17/2017
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

does water collect on the floor only when it's raining or while washing the car or at dry conditions as well?

when it rains heavily

Thanks for the reply, they said that the water is not draining from inside the fender drain passages, this is usually because water enters the fresh air grill just in front of the windshield, normally the water drains out through drain passages one on each side, there is sort of a trough so fresh air can come in but no water, if the drains get clogged with debris like leaves the water can rise and drain into the air vents and in the passenger compartment, did they check for this or do they just want to sell you another car? I assume they did check the sunroof drains like they said but I somehow have some doubts maybe you should get another opinion besides the one I gave you.

They made no mention of fresh air vents getting clogged. Can I get to the drain to check it?

Put the car as level as possible, take a garden hose and start running water into the fresh air intake grilles, you should see water draining out below on each side just in front of the front doors, if not the drains are clogged, let me know how that goes before taking anything apart.

I am going to try that after I dry the carpet out. I'll let you know.

Sounds good

ran water into fresh air vents as instructed. the water drained on both sides as designed. on a whim i checked the front sunroof drains and the one on the passenger side was clogged on top. cleared the clog and it drained.

Great, it's a pretty common issue with those sunroofs, thanks again for visiting the site.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Just to make sure how and where do I check the air conditioner drain?

In most cases the drain hose exits the firewall on the passenger side, you should be able to see it when the carpet is removed or pulled back. The evaporator housing will have the hose attached to it then it exits through the firewall.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech