Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Throttle body service: What would cost $1500 in this area of…

Throttle body service: What would...
Throttle body service: What would cost $1500 in this area of repair?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/17/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Is the mechanic going to "service" the throttle body? Or are they going to replace it?

The old mechanic said would need to replace.
I can't talk here at work, but I can type.

Ok. Great. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!
Ok. The price of $1500 is a bit on the high side to replace the throttle body. The throttle body sells for around $974 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 1.8 hours to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. Also, throttle body failure on these vehicles is not very common. Might be a good idea to get a second opinion on the diagnosis and the repair cost. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

I will be rating you, yes. Can you give me a tip: if you were taking an '05 Prius in, how would you check the truth of the diagnosis if the code says Replace?
Or I should say, if they say their code means Replace?

First and foremost... we'll need the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "p-codes") that the mechanic scanned from the on-board computer to come up with his diagnosis. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). These p-codes will help us more accurately determine if the throttle body is at fault and/or if replacement is needed.

Are you still there?

YEs. I posted my reply above. Do you not see it? I will copy-and=paste it again below:

Thanks, ***** ***** got your p-codes response. Do mechanics usually share these? He didn't give us that info even tho' our friend - who worked for him while in college - still uses him for his repairs.

Well... some shops do and some shops don't. Seeing that you can have them scanned for Free... and even buy a code reader these days for around $50... I don't see why they wouldn't. They should. But they're really not required to do so.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -