Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1998 Sienna ac works usally when you start but quits. but is…

1998 Sienna ac works...

1998 Sienna ac works usally when you start but quits. but is ice cold when working. What to check?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Yes it is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

I disconnected the low pressure switch and crossed it out, clutch doesn't ingage.

8/17/2017
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

Normally when I see a compressor that works great when cold, but won't kick on when hot (even if you jumper the pressure switch) then the most likely cause is a bad compressor clutch.

Have you already checked the refrigerant pressures?

they are fine
no text is fine

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to warn you about the automated phone call pop-up thing. That's not me.

I would probably go ahead and replace the AC compressor assembly or remove the AC compressor and replace the AC clutch. Since the clutch is usually about the same price as the entire compressor it usually makes more sense to replace the whole compressor.

OK, can I just change the compressor clutch?

You can. It requires a special tool. Do you want me to see if I can get you a diagram showing how it's done?

No thats ok, I thought if I crossed it out at the low pressure switch it would ingage?

It should engage if you jumper the low pressure switch. The problem is the clutch has an electromagnet that operates it. When the magnet starts to wear out it can't click on when it's supposed to because it's too weak to be able to jump the air gap between the clutch disk and the clutch pulley. It engages just fine when cold because the distance is smaller when cold. It heats up and expands and the tine amount that it expands is more than the magnet can overcome.

ok i understand. Thank you

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
There was a small hole in the radiator spraying water on the belt causing it to slip. I changed the radiator and ac works fine again.

Wow, that's a little different from what I thought was going on. I'm glad you got it sorted out!